Thinking of getting a cockatoo

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
I need some info from experienced cockatoo owners.I'm thinking about getting a cockatoo.I have 2 lovebirds and a Quaker parrot and I wanna add one last bird to my family.Which cockatoo do you think would be best to get?I have plenty of time on my hands to give it lots of love and attention.I was thinking about the goffin cockatoo but are they the same size as a Quaker parrot?I was maybe leaning towards getting slightly bigger than a Quaker parrot but not positive yet because Goggins are so adorable :) I just wanna know alot about them and which type is the best to get.I'm in no rush to get one as I'm probably gonna get it as a baby so I've gotta save up the money but I like to research whatever bird I get realy good and learn all I can about it before I get it :)
Thanks for any advice!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
....goffins are bigger then a Quaker silly lol

Goffins are great birds, although loud and very energetic. Time is the most important which you have, also know that a goffins shouldn't have any seed in it's diet(unless as a occasional treat while training) and should be on pellets. Also make sure you have the funds for adding another bird you have to take to the vet.

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
goffins are bigger. in goffins are not as loud as ur umbrella or moluccan. My firend as a goffin very very friendly. goes to anyone talks pretty well.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Being a caregiver to both a goffins and an umbrella, I would recommend a goffins for a first time 'too owner. So much fun! I love Mi Amigo and he has made me a much stronger person but,,,sometimes, it's just nice to relax and enjoy without the stress of, "what the heck is going to go wrong, next!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I agree with Mare Miller in regards to a Goffins being a good choice. Have you also considered the Galah?

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I agree with miller too, goffins are a great choice for first time too owners! Have you thought about a sulphur crested? They are great pets but you have to have a lot of time for them as they are a little challenging to care for. I always save money in my " emergency bird bank" always great just in case somthing unexpected happens like a costly medical treatment.

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
I agree with miller too, goffins are a great choice for first time too owners! Have you thought about a sulphur crested? They are great pets but you have to have a lot of time for them as they are a little challenging to care for. I always save money in my " emergency bird bank" always great just in case somthing unexpected happens like a costly medical treatment.

Yeah I'm gonna start putting money aside for vet visits :)

And thanks everyone!I'll start reading up about goffin cockatoos and learn all I can till I'm able to get a baby one :)

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
I just read about them having powder fall off them and it sticks to everythig, is that true?And it is ALOT of powder or just a little bit?

OP
M

MilitaryBrat

Aug 21, 2011
Mine is a rehomed, 7yr. old. Don't count an older one out, our Sassy is amazing!

I know but I'm a kind of scared of them if I haven't hand raised them lol cause I feel like if I hand raise them, I know everything they've been around and know all their behaviors.I've hand raised 2 of my 3 birds.I know you can get them cheaper if their adults and sometimes they come with a cage and everything too but I jut don't know if I'll be leery of it lol

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Our goffins powdery dust is not in the same league as Amigo's, U2, powder! After living with an umbrella too, I didn't even notice a goffins had any!

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Goffins are a fair bit larger than a quaker. They might be the same length, but the quaker has a long tail on a small body. The cockatoo has a short tail on a large body. My quakers weigh about 130 grams and my goffins weighs about 280 grams. What qualities are you looking for in a bird? How do you envision life being like with a cockatoo? What interaction style are you looking for? Are there other people in the family that want to interact with the bird? If the bird is aggressive with one family member would that be a deal breaker for you? Answers to those questions would really help us guide you to the "best" species. There really is no best cockatoo. My favorite species isn't necessarily everyone else's favorite species. They might be great for me, but a disaster for someone else.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
There is enough dust from a cockatoo that the room with the bird in it and most adjacent rooms will have a fine layer of dust over almost everything unless you dust daily. If you cuddle a cockatoo while wearing black, you will see the dust on your cloths.
I would NOT buy an unweaned baby cockatoo. Furthermore, I would not buy a cockatoo unless it has been weaned and maintaining its own weight for a full month and doesn't cry a lot at the breeder. I have hand-fed several birds. Some of them I can honestly say grew up and were lukewarm about me. The bird and I just knew we were not meant for each other. I've hand fed others that I've kept(I'm a breeder) and have turned out to be great pets. But every single one has bitten me. Wanting to hand-feed to prevent behavior problems is not a valid reason to purchase an unweaned baby IMO. I'd go for an adult or a properly weaned baby any day over an unweaned baby. And with a goffin's I would not let someone talk me into taking home a baby just a week or two after its last hand-feeding. I'd want that bird stable and independent for quite a while before stressing it and taking it home. JMO. I'd even be willing to pay the breeder a little extra to keep the bird a few weeks longer than normal just to prevent regressing and all the drama, worry and mixed signals it sends to the baby. You'll have a more stable adult for it.
I just read about them having powder fall off them and it sticks to everythig, is that true?And it is ALOT of powder or just a little bit?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
If you have never owned a cockatoo or larger bird, i would reccomend reading Of parrots and people and
Parrots for dummies, as cockatoos are a heapful of work and noise. I would also look at adoption from a rescue, cockatoos are so misunderstood thay often end up in shelters. A smaller cockatoo to have is the Galah or rose- breasted cockatoo, a very pretty pink bird, about the size of a large amazon. I would also look at the bare eyed cockatoo.

Most Reactions