This can't be? Right? HUGE LONG SHOT!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
where do you live i would contact them just in case maybe he is the same bird I know of birds who have gone across states when lost its possible!

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Jacob a sun conure who found me!
Im in Long Island NY, and he has been in someones house after he left that house, cause when he came to me he was partially clipped..

And he mumbles jacob more than saying it loud, but.. There's a video of him saying it.. cause I don't wanna call them and its not him, and how would I be able to find out, I can't go to AZ.. and I mean what's the odds..

Its the last 5 seconds..
VID_20130623_215300_zpsc189edb3.mp4 Video by zandrahund | Photobucket

If I sent that video to them they should be able to recognize the way he talks right?

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Ok, I snooped the woman up through google and found her facebook, her bird has a band, jacob don't.. But can someone have removed it so they could keep him? He would be about 3 now which would be what the vet was guessing, more than 1.5 but under 5.. (yeah I know big window) I don't know.. I guess I could just trust if they see the video and tell me it's him..
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/254703_2104093695980_3683538_n.jpg

She wrote this in a comment, and he did this with me basically first night..
"Thanks Daniel. He is pretty awesome. Does some crazy things. He will lay on my shoulder on his back and sleep."

He has a second word he likes to say, we will see if that is what she tells me that is..

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
its a LONG shot but maybe i bet she could recognize him by a video for sure I mean I recognize each of my birds from my backyard when they talk or scream.

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
I texted both numbers, I will call tomorrow mid day if they haven't gotten back to me, I did not send her a friends rq on facebook don't wanna completely freak her out. She gotta believe its some frikken nutjob texting her about the bird thats been missing for over a year...

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
How many Sun conures say "Jacob", I wonder.....:54:
I would be surprised if it's not the bird they are looking for.
Please, let us know.

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
I dont know how common it is.. THat's the thing.. I don't know a lot about these guys.. I am talking to her now, I sent her the video.. her bird had a band, but if someone decided to keep him as opposed of finding pet parents they could have cut that off... Im waiting for her email or text back..

Im chewing up my finger nails over here...

English is my second language, the last part you wrote, I would be surprised if it isn't the bird they are looking for, does that mean you think it's him or not? Didn't fully comprehend that..

and how common is it that a sun conure is saying jacob?

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
also, if someone hasn't kept up the words with him, can he loose words?
She said that he says a couple of other things, I have not heard them, but sometimes he will mumble and thats how Jacob came out, he was mumbling, and I was engaging him in what are you saying and he said it and tried again, and when I asked him Jacob? he went bonkers headbobbing.. So frankly I have no clue... I would just be happy to find his owners for his sake...

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
I dont know how common it is.. THat's the thing.. I don't know a lot about these guys.. I am talking to her now, I sent her the video.. her bird had a band, but if someone decided to keep him as opposed of finding pet parents they could have cut that off... Im waiting for her email or text back..

Im chewing up my finger nails over here...

English is my second language, the last part you wrote, I would be surprised if it isn't the bird they are looking for, does that mean you think it's him or not? Didn't fully comprehend that..

and how common is it that a sun conure is saying jacob?

You are so cute and funny, I was laughing reading your post.......you see, English is not my first language either.....LOL......
What I was trying to say is, that I think not too many birds in general say "Jacob", let alone a specific bird species like Sun Conure....so I DO think it is a bird these people are looking for. But there are few things that spoil my theory......the band and the distance.......That what makes it more interesting.....
Don't worry too much, I can almost feel your excitement.....either way this little guy is in good hands......

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
That's what Im thinking too.. Now she told me that she tried and tried to have him say Hello and he never said that to her, it was one of the first words he told me.. She gave me two more phrases he normally told her, so Im gonna try them tomorrow and see if they pop out.. If they pop out fairly easy, then it HAS to be him... She says that the Jacob he says sounds familiar but his colors are different, but the picture she shows me with more green and such is where he's just a little more than 6 months, and if I remember right they fade the green and go more yellow with age right? I have a gnawing feeling its him... I also suggested phone/video conference tomorrow to see if he reacts to her voice if he can recognize it over the phone.. I just wanna make sure its not him or is him..

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Babies and adult birds differ in colors, but I am not sure how much in Sun Conuers case. Maybe some Sun Conuer's experts will chime tomorrow.
Take some rest (if you can), tomorrow will unfold more info for you, I am sure.
Good luck!

Peanutsmum

Jan 23, 2013
Devon, UK
Parrots
GCC Peanut Male hatched 19/10/12
Is he microchipped?? Here in UK you have to have any parrot microchipped in order to get insurance. Peanut is so I know if he ever went missing and someone took him in Id hope to get him back

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
hopefully he is the same bird!! And yes Suns get yellow with age mine I found as a baby was much more green than she was when I had to give her up and she only got more yellow.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Suns definitely change colour with age. Babies are generally more green and they almost 'flourish' with their yellows and oranges.

Bands can be removed, vets usually will only do it if it's causing the bird problems though.

I agree with checking for microchips too. I also agree, a name that isn't a "common bird name" (Merlin, Charlie, are pretty common names) would be unlikely another 'random' sun learns it too.

Also, birds can forget words if they haven't heard them in a long time. Merlin knows the smoke alarm noise, but doesn't make it unless he hears it first... prompting the knowledge of the word. Baring he was young when lost too and had a previous owner before you.

I say just see what happens. Microchipping is SO important for this reason, bands can be removed, markings can change, words can be lost or learnt...

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
No he's not chipped, that I checked ages ago when I took him to the vet..

So I have tried to revive the words, he still only says Jacob and hello somwhat clearly... I called him by his "name" Max and no response.. I don't know to be honest.. She couldn't really tell on the video if it was him or not by the voice.. So it may not be him... But what's the odds.. ?

But when I ask him Get up (as in get up jacob) he does start to mumble.. But I can not hear what he is saying..

It sounds like when I say get up,he finishes with Jacob... Idon'tknow.. I really don't know..

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
geez, it must be very disheartening for you to be on the receiving end of all this.

to me all suns look the same, maybe with slight variations

since he is not banded, I agree with Mayden, most vets will not remove them without a good reason.

do you or are you in contact with the previous owner where you got him from...is it possible they had the band removed?
for your sake I hope not.

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Could you post her pictures, and pictures of the bird your found? A more trained eye here might help you.

OP
Ravennessa

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Crimson, he was found a month ago outside... But he has been with someone since he left them over a year ago if it would be him.. Im thinking a reg person took the band off if they were looking to keep as opposed to find the owners.

However, we were supposed to do a phone call tonight, trying speaker phone to see if he responded to her voice. Cause I do feel that the odds of a sun conure about the right age saying Jacob is a high coincidence...

I called at 6 as we agreed, she said she wasn't home yet, I said ok, and haven't heard anything since.. I will wait to see if she contacts me now if not, I guess I will have to continue looking...

I don't mind keeping him as long as my landlord lets me, today I took a nap and left the cage open.. He was in the cage when I passed out, when I woke up there was a parrot on my pillow lol He is absolutely adorable..

Most Reactions