paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Well this is not good at all I have found out the distance from my house to my local avian vet and it is quite far from my home to the avian it is 6 miles in which case if our birds beco e very sick we will have to travel there at quite a speed I have spoke with our local vet in my town about getting an avian vet in to work there as it would be alot faster to get the birds the care they need as for traveling the 6 miles by then it could be to late IMO I think every town should have an avian qualified vet at hand.

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
6 miles? thats close! you are lucky to have one so close....my avian vet is 45 miles!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
We have a Vet here in Paignton, that is supposed to be Avian... Well, when I paid them a visit, I could not get out of there quick enough!! The Vet didnt even know what species of Parrot Codie was :eek::eek: He also asked me to hold her as he had never handled a Parrot.. I politely told him, I would find a qualified Avian Vet:11: I have now had one recommended to me which is about 8 miles away, but at least they know what they are doing.. Thank goodness :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You start at the beginning. Talk to avian vets, breeders, rescues and on and on. Look up the requirements.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
I will have a talk with our avian and my breeder when I go and pick sky up in the next few weeks and as for the vet who was ment to be an avian that is shocking he couldn't tell what species codie was and asked you to hold her as he had never handled one before that is a shamble but I'm glad you found one who knows what there talking about :)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I will have a talk with our avian and my breeder when I go and pick sky up in the next few weeks and as for the vet who was ment to be an avian that is shocking he couldn't tell what species codie was and asked you to hold her as he had never handled one before that is a shamble but I'm glad you found one who knows what there talking about :)

Yes, the one I have found now is great :)

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
I like the sound of becoming an avian vet for sure and it would be an experiance but I also would love to be a trainer of birds I trained all 5 of my pooches and there brilliant I might try doing some avian work and training as well and see what one works out better for me :)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Wow, 6 miles ain't nothing around here, of course I ain't in a big city either.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Its even harder for me to travel the 6 miles as I don't own a car anymore the only member in the family who drives is my grandad

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Its even harder for me to travel the 6 miles as I don't own a car anymore the only member in the family who drives is my grandad
that must be tough, are there buses or cabs you could take in an emergency?

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
you are lucky if there is one that close! Mine is 45 minutes away, without traffic

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
I will echo that - 6 miles is very close! You are lucky in that regard! I wonder if there are vet techs who work specifically with birds? It's a longer course of study to become an avian veterinarian than a tech, but the world needs more! :)

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
It's more than 6 miles to anything from my house. An hour to the vet that sees all our pets, 20 minutes to work and shopping areas. Although without a car, 6 miles would seem just as far away as the hour drive I suppose.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
since Paul is a "young'un".......should I throw that "had to walk 10 miles every day to school & it was uphill both ways" thing at him??? :D

sorry, couldn't resist :)

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
since Paul is a "young'un".......should I throw that "had to walk 10 miles every day to school & it was uphill both ways" thing at him??? :D

sorry, couldn't resist :)

Don't forget there was a blizzard everyday!! LOL

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
that must be tough, are there buses or cabs you could take in an emergency?

The buses are useless and are never on time and the cabs are just the same luckly my grandad only lives down the road from us so he would be our best chance

Most Reactions

Latest posts