This is Ray, my newest "addition" to my flock

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
All of my birds are rehomes (one rescue). Back in November, there was an ad on Craigslist that was brought to my attention. It was for a 25+ year old totally blind African Grey. His name was Ray.

When I heard about him, I just knew I had to adopt him. He was all the way in Washington State (I am in NJ). On December 26, 2011, with the help of a friend in Washington State, Ray flew to Philadelphia to come to his forever home here with me. :)

This little man is amazing! For a blind bird, he can manuever around his cage and find his food. I love watching him. Even if I move his food bowls (he has many just in case), he finds them. He even knows the second I put food in one of his bowls... and which bowl I put it in!

Isn't he adorable?

373047_192259754133345_364277585_n.jpg

Last edited:

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
That is such a nice thing you did for Ray, he is very handsome. I'm sure you two will be forever friends.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Good for you, Kathie! I was wondering about the picture on your fb. It's great to see you here as well, we give you lots of good press here. :D

Happy Forever Home, Ray!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I know he is a happy grey in your care. Has he been blind for a long time and do you know how it happened?

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Very handsome fella ! Hello Ray :)

OP
M

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
I know he is a happy grey in your care. Has he been blind for a long time and do you know how it happened?

The vet said it is due to cataracts that were never taken care of. At this point, they are so hardened that surgery would likely not be successful. :(

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
he is a beautiful bird. how many do you have? can you please tell me what are the treats you put in the little white paper cups. my qp went nuts. then had fun shredding the paper after he devoured the treat. he also loves his two story playstand that goes on the table top that I ordered from you. Thanks again and welcome to or back to the forum as the case may be.Alison and sweetie pie:D

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
he is adorable and you did a great thing

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
We always thank guardians who help out our lost or unwanted feathered friends here. Especially the special needs birds. Can we assume that Ray is named for Ray Charles?

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
OP
M

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
he is a beautiful bird. how many do you have? can you please tell me what are the treats you put in the little white paper cups. my qp went nuts. then had fun shredding the paper after he devoured the treat. he also loves his two story playstand that goes on the table top that I ordered from you. Thanks again and welcome to or back to the forum as the case may be.Alison and sweetie pie:D

Hi Allison! The treats in the little white cups are the pellet berries. I put them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to warm them and then stuffed them into the cups for a foraging treat. Glad you liked them!!

I have 11 birds. Too many!!!

OP
M

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
We always thank guardians who help out our lost or unwanted feathered friends here. Especially the special needs birds. Can we assume that Ray is named for Ray Charles?

Awww, thanks Bill. All of my birds are rehomes except for 2.

I can only assume he was named Ray for Ray Charles. I didn't name him. LOL I just fell in love with him!!
3229_Drawing_Animated_Heart.gif

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
I am so glad he got a wonderful home! He is beautiful!! It is a wonderful thing you did for him.

Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
Wow Kathie!!! You have a big heart. A rescue in my area has a blind bird up for adoption and when I think about him my heart gets all warm. He is at a foster home and really loves the foster lady, so I wasn't going to interfere. I have hopes that he will end up keeping him :) by the way, I got my shower perch from you Friday!!!! Thanks for the goodies!!!! I shared the chocolates with coworkers ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts