This Talking Bird Is Disappearing From the Wild

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
This is so tragic. It never ceases to amaze me how consistently avarice trumps basic human decency. How many animals have become endangered or extinct due to human greed and excess? Anything for a dollar, huh? Smh.

Thanks for sharing, Christine. Awareness of these things is very important.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes extremely tragic. Will the human race be happy when there are no more animals, fish or birds left on this planet? Unfortunately its not always greed that's the cause its the trying to get by, by any means possible. Are the people who want the pet birds just as guilty? No demand, no price. This gets more distressing the deeper you go.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
There seems to be a fire storm going around now. Some are actually blaming Rescues. Saying there rules for adoption are so long and hard to pass. Plus the adoption fee that in the end your can purchase a bird from the Stores cheaper. Few agencies were called out for having over 500 birds and not letting any of them be adopted simply because they get a tax write off and have all the birds they want from the donations of kind people. Sad

Oh and FYI This is not my opinion i am just posting what I read so do not attack the carrier :) One thing I do know for a fact. I visited BB 3 x Each visit the price went up $100.00 Even after I said I would take him after the first visit. SO it is done . This was not a rescue but a Vets office realizing how much they could get for him. On the 3rd visit I paid for him before they could go up again.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi and that was def pure greed! We have a supposed sanctuary over here that takes birds that people no longer want, they get dumped together in cages that people pay to see. They are mostly completely miserable because they are human imprinted. Birds who are just dont relate to one another. They got left outside during bad weather and most died. I give up trying to see any logic or common sense anymore its just heart breaking.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you, Christine. This is deeply disturbing, another prime example of profit at any cost and unbelievable collateral damage.

Most Reactions