Three's a crowd?

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
Hey everyone:

While we're all patiently waiting (I don't include Eliza and Henry in this) for photos of Tango, I have a question that I would really appreciate some input on.

As I'm sure I've written before, I got Eliza from a bird shop which closed about a year ago. (I actually spent some time with Henry when he was a baby there as well!)

I've kept in touch with the woman who ran the shop (she boards Eliza and Henry, for example). Originally, Henry had been sold; I believe she was planning to keep his sister Kiwi for herself.

The sale for Henry fell through, which turned out to be very fortunate for me, as I took him home last June.

She has written to me several times regarding Kiwi. She feels terrible because, as it's turned out, she simply doesn't have the time to give Kiwi much attention, and she is a very conscientious person. Thus, she has offered Kiwi to me.

My heart, of course, says "don't hesitate--take her!" However, I'm trying (extremely uncharacteristically, I might add) to be smart about this.

I have quite the bond with both Eliza and Henry, and they do with each other as well. It's a very happy little household.

I would really appreciate people's thoughts, impressions, experiences, etc. in bringing another caique into my home. Will the bonds I've mentioned simply extend to three (plus me)? Or are there risks of bonds being broken; say--for example--Henry and Kiwi bonding (they're both white-bellied caiques) and thus leaving Eliza out in the cold? Or am I projecting too much human-like characteristics onto birds?

Many thanks to all,
Derek

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Some people might be against this.... but if you are capable of caring for three financially and have the time for it, would you consider a "foster to adopt" kind of situation? As in, you are willing to give Kiwi a "try-out" period (I know that sounds bad!) and if she fits into your flock, you'll adopt her? If not, you can say it's not working out and either give her back or find a new home for her?

Keeping in mind that it can take at least a few months for a new bird to settle in to a new situation.

OP
dskidd

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Thank you so much for your response. That is an excellent suggestion. I'd definitely be willing to give Kiwi a "try-out" period (and that doesn't sound bad, by the way...I know what you meant!), and at least she'd get some attention. Plus, I do know of a potential home for her. I have an acquaintance here who has expressed many times her desire to have a bird again. (I don't know the full story, but she did have a macaw of some type; she was forced to give it up when she moved here. At least I think that's the story. Bottom line is that she's very knowledgable, and I feel certain she'd be a great "parront".)

I'll ponder this some more. I need think about my own pet-keeping capacities as well: I already have two. My exponential rule for caiques is that two seem like four, so having three would feel like nine. I need to make sure I feel like I could deal with it!

Thank you again for responding.

Derek

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like either way, Kiwi may find a good home! :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
If you do get Kiwi, after shes adjusted and they can be together. Set her cage close enough the other 2 can hop on and visit her [while shes in his cage ] . They will get used to her that way .As for figuring out if you should .This lady knows she would be going to a good home [and so do I :)]

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
The more, the merrier!! Let the three ring circus commence!!

OP
dskidd

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
If you do get Kiwi, after shes adjusted and they can be together. Set her cage close enough the other 2 can hop on and visit her [while shes in his cage ] . They will get used to her that way .As for figuring out if you should .This lady knows she would be going to a good home [and so do I :)]

Thank you so much...I'll definitely do that.

And thank you also for the kind words. I try to do the best I can. (I will admit I've had a few friends who have told me that in their next life, they want to come back as one of my pets!) :)

OP
dskidd

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
The more, the merrier!! Let the three ring circus commence!!

Hmmm...and this coming from the man with the FOUR-ring circus--and that's only including the caiques! :D

Seriously, I'm definitely leaning towards bringing Kiwi home and seeing how it all works out. I'll keep you posted!

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Seriously, I'm definitely leaning towards bringing Kiwi home and seeing how it all works out. I'll keep you posted!
Awesome!! I'm sure you won't need it, but I have a couple of little tricks to get them all to play nice when introducing two to share a cage and things got out of hand. In the interim, the suggestions PinkBirdy had should be fine to start! Good luck!!

OP
dskidd

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Awesome!! I'm sure you won't need it, but I have a couple of little tricks to get them all to play nice when introducing two to share a cage and things got out of hand. In the interim, the suggestions PinkBirdy had should be fine to start! Good luck!!

Many thanks, sir! I suspect I'll be interested in learning those little tricks...and anything else anyone can suggest! :)

Derek

Most Reactions

Latest posts