Tich can now do tricks!

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
Tich has finally learnt his first trick a few days ago; spinning around.

He was such a good boy. I'd start by guiding a sunflower seed in a circle so he'd follow, then my finger... And now he does it completly on voice command.It took him about 4 days in total. Occasionally he'll turn around without me saying anything because he wants a treat. The cheek. :D

And now he can wave! I was surprised because he picked this up in literally two days. It's so adorable. I'm going to try and get a decent video of both tricks up on my/Tich's website.

I’m so proud of him and so glad I can introduce tricks as part of our play and bonding.

I'm wondering what I can teach him next...

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I taught my B and G "wings" with the wings up like and eagle statue which is great because I think it will also help with vet visits and such. I am trying to come up with some others, we play with towels too to make them a game instead of terror sessions. I too am interested in different behaviors to teach. We are still working on step up more regularly, she doesn't like to leave certain places and gets defensive and grumpy. She has however learned to say step up quite clearly, which brings her word count to.....4.

OP
Kantia

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Wow, so cute ! I was wondering, how do. You teach a bird to wave?

Aww thankies. I basically touched his foot (he didn't use to let me) and say 'wave'. I'd then put the tip of my finger near his foot as if I wanted him to step up but I wouldn't let him. As soon as he raised his foot I'd say wave and give him a treat.
At first he wasn't that enthusiastic about lifting it that high.
I'd then move my finger further away and wiggle my finger as if I was waving at him and he'd copy. He's very clever and got the hang of it in about two days.

I taught my B and G "wings" with the wings up like and eagle statue which is great because I think it will also help with vet visits and such.

Wings is a good idea! I'm guessing when he stretches (he lifts both wings up high) I can reward him? I never really thought about the vet visits, so thank you for that. :]

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
you could teach him to play dead, or when he stretches (one foot back, one wing back) say 'superman' and reward him... it looks like hes being superman :p haha

OP
Kantia

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
you could teach him to play dead, or when he stretches (one foot back, one wing back) say 'superman' and reward him... it looks like hes being superman :p haha

Awww the superman idea is brilliant, thanks! I guess all I need to do now is capture the behaviours quickly.

He's not too keen on going on his back, as of yet anyway. What do you think is the best way of going about teaching him to play dead?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
haha my little quaker caught on really quickly with the superman..

with the lying on the back,,, i would have him perched on my finger, and cup his back with my hand... when he was used to that i would tilt him back... and just keep going further... eventually he would lie back holding onto my finger... next step was taking away my fingers.... just rewarding him each time, and making him hold it a few seconds longer each time... then eventtuuallyy he will learn to lie on his back by himself!!! :D
i added some photos :) the superman one is terrible lighting, but you can sort of see what he is doing

tab_xo-albums-fargo-picture5259-img-1600.jpg

tab_xo-albums-fargo-picture5260-img-1154.jpg

tab_xo-albums-fargo-picture5261-img-1236.jpg

OP
Kantia

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Aww he's a beaut! Thanks for the pictures, I shall hopefully try these out soon. :] Love his little superman. ^_^

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
@tab_xo The last picture: Hands up, baby hands up! :p
(Beautiful bird and so cute)

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I call the superman birdie yoga and want to work on that one too! The wings was easy to teach, I just touched her wings till she lifted them then reward. She picked it up pretty quickly.

OP
Kantia

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
thanks guys, he was super clever :)

Kantia i love your website for Tich!! thats a really cool idea

Thanks, tab_xo! It's mostly for memories of his first couple of months and for the breeder to see his progress. :]

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
Waving is pretty easy as I found out from someone who works with birds for a living. Jasper learned that one in just a couple days. Now he high fives (with his own sound effects lol) and we're working on wings up. I would love to learn how to get Jasper to do some of these other things.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I always thought play dead was cute. And yes, Georgie learned it quickly. I used to have her standing on my finger and then put my free hand behind her and give her a big kiss and bend down until she got used to lying back on my hand (she was in that 'no way!' frame of mind in the beginning so i had to do it this way). She figured out that i thought it was so cute and she got tons of praise and attention and then it was fun. ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts