'Tiel Flies to 'Zon's Cage

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
Female Cinnamon Cockatiel; Arka
~
Female Red Crowned Amazon; Chiba
My Cockatiel thinks that my Amazon's new cage is the funnest place ever. :rolleyes:
As soon as I let her out of her cage, she flies to the top of my 'Zon's cage. It has a play top, with ladders and a perch, so I can understand why she likes it so much. Occasionally she will try to get inside of the cage (she wants to play with the big toys!). I immediately remove her and set her on top of the cage. My 'Zon isn't bothered by this at all. So far, she has shown no sign of being territorial. And she acts very indifferent towards my 'Tiel in general.

Here are my questions:
Should I keep her from my 'Zon's cage? If so, how do I do that?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I don't have any answers! But in my opinion if the zon isn't being aggressive then why can't the tiel play on the play top? Of course I would supervise just in case, but aren't there a lot of people on here who have different species that all get along and play together?

Look at Birdman with his big macs, CAG and zons???

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Be careful - small birds have been known to have toes nipped off when on top of other bird's cages. Monitoring is important, at least until this has been a very long-term practice with the 'Zon continuing to prove it's not going to take issue with the practice.

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
I agree with the danger of loosing a toe or two. Simple solutions are:
1. Move the play station to another spot in the room or a different room all together. This way when the birds are out, they don't get territorial over their cages, especially during breeding season.
2. Place a piece of plywood or some such on top of the cage with the play station on the wood so that your 'zon cannot bite off a toe when she gets moody because sooner or later she will.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Amazons make terrible manicurists.

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
I don't have any answers! But in my opinion if the zon isn't being aggressive then why can't the tiel play on the play top? Of course I would supervise just in case, but aren't there a lot of people on here who have different species that all get along and play together?

Look at Birdman with his big macs, CAG and zons???
That's what I was thinking. Usually, the 'Zon stays in her cage and plays. The 'Tiel mainly enjoys playing on the cage top. I don't allow them to interact though, for Chiba doesn't show any interest.

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
Be careful - small birds have been known to have toes nipped off when on top of other bird's cages. Monitoring is important, at least until this has been a very long-term practice with the 'Zon continuing to prove it's not going to take issue with the practice.
Thanks!
Luckily, there is a tray at the top of the cage.
And Chiba isn't quite comfortable enough to come out of her cage every day. She's done it twice so far. And I'm either in the living room (bird room) or the kitchen (very next room) when I let the birds out.

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
I agree with the danger of loosing a toe or two. Simple solutions are:
1. Move the play station to another spot in the room or a different room all together. This way when the birds are out, they don't get territorial over their cages, especially during breeding season.
2. Place a piece of plywood or some such on top of the cage with the play station on the wood so that your 'zon cannot bite off a toe when she gets moody because sooner or later she will.
There's a tray on top of the cage, underneath the play top. I think that creates a much safer environment. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Supervise what's going on and remove your tiel at the first sign of annoyance from Chiba. Common sense applies here. Though, understanding theres always a risk, stranger bird buddies have formed.

You should talk to Julie (Ravengryf) about her pionus Raven's cage, which has become the hangout spot for her budgie Twigs and poi Griffin (both smaller birds):)

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
Supervise what's going on and remove your tiel at the first sign of annoyance from Chiba. Common sense applies here. Though, understanding theres always a risk, stranger bird buddies have formed.

You should talk to Julie (Ravengryf) about her pionus Raven's cage, which has become the hangout spot for her budgie Twigs and poi Griffin (both smaller birds):)
Thanks!
I am always in the bird room or the very next, so keeping an eye on them is never a problem. :) And I'm VERY cautious when it comes to my animals interacting with each other. ;) The slightest change in body language/behavior is enough for me to separate them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts