Time for bird #2

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
In lieu of acquiring multiple cockatoos, IMO the trick is to strike the right balance of attention while teaching them a semblance of independence.

Three of my goffins live in a room with a TAG and have "each other" in addition to personal attention. Another (wild caught male) lives with a citron in a flight cage. He is separated because of the infamous cockatoo male aggression against his mate) The third, first-born baby gets picked on by his mother and one of his siblings. Gabby is the one most bonded to me and has his own cage in the family room plus one in my bedroom for sleeping. Though he is very bonded to me, he can play with toys in his cage for the better part of a day and not scream or pluck. Very well adjusted, that is the key! Certainly the credit is not all mine as each bird has a unique personality.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
In lieu of acquiring multiple cockatoos, IMO the trick is to strike the right balance of attention while teaching them a semblance of independence.

Three of my goffins live in a room with a TAG and have "each other" in addition to personal attention. Another (wild caught male) lives with a citron in a flight cage. He is separated because of the infamous cockatoo male aggression against his mate) The third, first-born baby gets picked on by his mother and one of his siblings. Gabby is the one most bonded to me and has his own cage in the family room plus one in my bedroom for sleeping. Though he is very bonded to me, he can play with toys in his cage for the better part of a day and not scream or pluck. Very well adjusted, that is the key! Certainly the credit is not all mine as each bird has a unique personality.

True, but this is very much easier said than done, or they wouldn't be so frequently re-homed/plucking/screaming. So yeah, in theory, teaching independence is great..but that is almost as difficult as teaching a whale to walk. They are flock animals and so when you get one, you ARE the flock...I maintain that if a Grey or Macaw is equally interesting to the OP, that it would still be a challenging (but less risky) choice. It is my understanding, that while Toos do pick a lifelong partner, they still travel in and rely on other birds within the flock daily...This makes them unique from many other parrots.
Noodles is WAY more independent than many other Toos I have met, but she is still SUPER SUPER SUPER needy...More than other parrot varieties by far...UNLESS she is in a place with a million other birds and 500 diversions...then she is too busy with all of the commotion to be heard if she does scream.

My Too (again, fairly independent as Toos go) is just okay by herself as long as she knows for a fact that I am not in the house--but she does over-preen some of her feathers and she isn't very good at staying busy..The second I am home, she wants 100% of my attention (especially in the mornings and evenings, but honestly, whenever I am around). She sucks at playing with toys but she is getting better...still doesn't keep herself mentally engaged well without assistance...She came to me a toy-hater, so I guess we have made progress!
Again, I am always hearing how well-behaved mine is (from people who know), which makes me think...dang, if this is really good, what is really bad? I am not someone without experience with parrots either...Cockatoos are often VERY VERY VERY challenging. More so than other large birds. They are #1 for re-homing. If you can't imagine life with the cockatoo from hell, then don't get one, because that is the risk you take. Hope for the best, but expect the worst and that way you aren't blindsided.

The point is, both Scott and myself have more positive cockatoo experiences than the majority. I wouldn't recommend it, honestly (especially if other options are equally appealing). I have no life...I have no life...I have no life....every spare minute is gone, and the rest are full of guilt (because I really feel that humans are incapable of providing these birds with the environment needed for them to be truly happy---even though mine appears to be fairly "happy"...Again, MYTOOS.COM.... there isn't a mymacaws.com for a reason...nor is there a Mygreys.com LOL. A cockatoo is like a child who is gifted, has autism, is non-verbal and stays a 2-year old forever....with a beak, wings and complicated medical issues.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Great points, but I have six cockatoos and a life! Socialization is critical, and sometimes much damage is done before they come into our lives. It is possible to have a solitary cockatoo live a dual life in your presence and spend hours inside a cage with abundant toys, scenery, and solitude.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Great points, but I have six cockatoos and a life! Socialization is critical, and sometimes much damage is done before they come into our lives. It is possible to have a solitary cockatoo live a dual life in your presence and spend hours inside a cage with abundant toys, scenery, and solitude.

I do believe that is due to the fact that you have 6 of them though. I would NEVER suggest buying a bunch of cockatoos without having had them, but when you just have 1, you are ALLLLLL of the flock rolled into 1. You are the first person who caused me to consider that these birds may actually be crazier without multiple other cockatoos (your theory aligns to the patterns I have seen in documentaries and research about birds)...The OP isn't looking at buying a flock...and buying a flock as a first-time cockatoo owner would likely be VERY unwise and EXPENSIVE.
I work, so stated plainly, having a social life while my bird is awake is just plain unfair to her.

That having been said, yes, socialization is crucial. That doesn't change the velcro-esk nature of these birds which is a constant battle. It also doesn't change the fact that they are flock animals who are designed to fly and forage all day in HUGE groups. No amount of teaching and training can undo the stresses we, as humans, impose through ownership. A lot of this is just their nature and when you fight nature, it is always just sitting there beneath the surface (or bubbling up in new/unexpected ways when denied).

A single cockatoo is a NEEDY cockatoo---even when "independent" by cockatoo standards...My bird spends hours in her cage and she doesn't scream, but that is because I have spent TONS of time and effort training her (and because she is my top priority outside of work)...and it doesn't change the fact that hours of time in a cage put a lot of stress on a high-energy bird like this....It is not healthy for her (or any cockatoo).

For the average person, the level of devotion it takes to work and have 1 cockatoo is INSANE. That is what I am trying to say..To have a sane cockatoo, it takes all of my energy (again, mine is well-behaved as they go)...The point is, it took/takes CONSTANT effort to get her that way and keep her that way--sure, she still is insane at times, but she isn't currently as crazy as the majority. That doesn't mean she wouldn't become that way in a new environment. I am so glad that I have a strong background in ABA and special education or I honestly would have A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BIRD. If she tries my patience (which is practically inexhaustible due to my daily work in behavioral intervention), then I wouldn't dare suggest cockatoo ownership to anyone... My mom has a history with birds etc (and she teaches pre-schoolers with special needs), but my WELL-BEHAVED cockatoo drove her insane after 3 days....Not because of biting and screaming, but because of the constant desire for interaction, novel experiences, proximity, routine, bed-times, dinner-times, fear of the unknown etc...My bird isn't screaming and plucking. In her mind, she is pretty happy (I think) but 3 homes prior to me would indicate that has not always been the case. She said it was like owning a loud orangutan with wings and a beak.

When my bird does scream and act like a brat, then waiting out those tantrums has been mind-numbing for those around. Again, I get paid to ignore and analyze terrible behaviors in kids, so I am pretty good at waiting things out with the best of them. That having been said, Cockatoos can scream the same thing for hours without thinking twice about it (at an incomprehensible volume, when motivated). Ignoring that is taxing...and one slip-up could lead to more future screaming.

At the same time, it is also a bad idea to go into ownership thinking, "well if my 1 Too is unruly/needy, I will just get another cockatoo" because that could backfire TERRIBLY for so many ways...

If the OP would be just as happy with a macaw or a grey, having worked closely with them (as well as other parrots) they are a way safer bet...They still require a HUGE commitment and tons of work (and a Macaw can shake down the house with noise), but they aren't as rough as cockatoos.

I know you have had great experiences, but the "average joe" (even when experienced with other parrot varieties) does NOT or they wouldn't be the most re-homed bird...I just feel like it is a risky thing to encourage people to get them without more information...especially when other birds are still on the table as far as options are concerned...Does that make sense? I researched forever before adopting mine and despite my planning and background, I still feel like nothing could have prepared me for the reality that is now mine for the next 60+ years. LOVE MY BIRD...But I would love any bird that I bonded with....which means, a different large parrot, while difficult, would have been just fine (and much, much less complicated). I am in it for the long-haul, but God help me if I ever become ill or lose the stamina I have now...

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I do believe that is due to the fact that you have 6 of them though. I would NEVER suggest buying a bunch of cockatoos without having had them, but when you just have 1, you are ALLLLLL of the flock rolled into 1.... The OP isn't looking at buying a flock...and buying a flock as a first-time cockatoo owner would likely be VERY unwise and EXPENSIVE.

For the average person, the level of devotion it takes to work and have 1 cockatoo is INSANE.

At the same time, it is also a bad idea to go into ownership thinking, "well if my 1 Too is unruly/needy, I will just get another cockatoo" because that could backfire TERRIBLY for so many ways...

I know you have had great experiences, but the "average joe" (even when experienced with other parrot varieties) does NOT or they wouldn't be the most re-homed bird...I just feel like it is a risky thing to encourage people to get them without more information...especially when other birds are still on the table as far as options are concerned...Does that make sense? I researched forever before adopting mine and despite my planning and background, I still feel like nothing could have prepared me for the reality that is now mine for the next 60+ years. LOVE MY BIRD...But I would love any bird that I bonded with....which means, a different large parrot, while difficult, would have been just fine (and much, much less complicated). I am in it for the long-haul, but God help me if I ever become ill or lose the stamina I have now...

Nobody is suggesting a person ever buy a flock of cockatoos or even one example without rigorous research and deep introspection.

I respectfully disagree with the insanity notion and endless demands. All of my birds are well adjusted, none have suffered neglect. My long-term job prior to retirement saw me absent for roughly half the month, generally with four day intervals. Time spent with my birds during days off was intense but reasonable, and they had loving care in my absence.

This is a discussion forum, not a cudgel to demonstrably sway opinion. I occasionally cite mytoos.com as reference for the worst-case scenario, but the evangelical hubris against cockatoos belongs there, not at ParrotForums.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you for your usual balanced combination of experience and education, Scott. A cockatoo discussion is never, ever complete without your input.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I double posted by mistake---my edited post is below this one. WOOPS/SORRY!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I do believe that is due to the fact that you have 6 of them though. I would NEVER suggest buying a bunch of cockatoos without having had them, but when you just have 1, you are ALLLLLL of the flock rolled into 1.... The OP isn't looking at buying a flock...and buying a flock as a first-time cockatoo owner would likely be VERY unwise and EXPENSIVE.

For the average person, the level of devotion it takes to work and have 1 cockatoo is INSANE.

Nobody is suggesting a person ever buy a flock of cockatoos or even one example without rigorous research and deep introspection.

I respectfully disagree with the insanity notion and endless demands. All of my birds are well adjusted, none have suffered neglect. My long-term job prior to retirement saw me absent for roughly half the month, generally with four day intervals. Time spent with my birds during days off was intense but reasonable, and they had loving care in my absence.

This is a discussion forum, not a cudgel to demonstrably sway opinion. I occasionally cite mytoos.com as reference for the worst-case scenario, but the evangelical hubris against cockatoos belongs there, not at ParrotForums.

I am not trying to show hubris. Nor did I mean to imply that you were suggesting that people buy a flock (I was just clarifying based on the fact that I said they likely would do better in flocks). I know that would be crazy, so I wanted to make sure it didn't look like I was telling people to go buy a group as a solution.

I have worked with cockatoos a lot and I have one, therefore, my input does have a place. As a rule, people do not really know what they are getting into when they adopt one of these birds (despite past research, and experiences interacting with these birds, I do no think I truly understood what it would be like to bring one home). Owning any bird requires a TON of commitment and work, and in my opinion, cockatoos take that to the next level. Maybe it is because I am a perfectionist, but when my bird has occasionally started over-preening etc, flashes of birds in sweaters fly before my eyes and that is a terrible thought because generally (not always) it means that something environmental was or is wrong). Keeping my bird alive has been an average amount of work, but keeping her balanced, engaged and emotionally stable has required planning, time, effort and lots and lots of patience.

I interact with a lot of people on a daily basis, and the average person is a poor fit for a bird and even less so for a cockatoo. Adoption is always a gamble (especially without a full understanding of the bird's health, history, age and the owner's background, home set-up, lifestyle, age, personality, funds etc), so if you don't seriously consider the worst-case-scenario, then what happens if you get it? I am VERY PRO ADOPTION, but it is like a one-sided marriage: "Do you take this cockatoo to be your lawfully wedded bird, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.") You can't divorce a cockatoo. If people don't consider the downside, then they are not making an informed decision. When people marry, they often spend years getting to know the other person. When people adopt birds, they often have not considered this.

People have to accept the challenges that MAY come with getting a bird like this BEFORE they get one, or they are not fit to take the plunge--you have to take all of the possible good with all of the possible bad and be prepared for both. There are enough sources that downplay the level of commitment owning a cockatoo takes (on websites, such as the Spruce.com). I stand behind that fact that the statistics on rehoming are further proof that people quickly get in over their heads with these birds. I think it is heartbreaking that so many of these birds get passed from home to home and it really takes a toll on them.

I will always support someone once they have a cockatoo, but very rarely would I encourage someone to go out and get one without verification that they fulling understood the possibilities ahead. Once someone gets a bird, the deal is done...at least, it should be. It hurts these birds to go from home-to-home and it does impact behavior over the years.

We both have very different means of approaching this issue and I respect that, but I often feel that, due to a love for our own birds/experiences, it can be easy to downplay or paint a rosier-than-life picture for people who may or may not have the same background, let alone the same bird.

The good, the bad and the ugly are essential...

Mytoos.com is the worst case scenario, but from my perspective, if you prepare for the worst and get the best then it is a win...Because again, for many people, the worst is a reality. I have seen it over and over again in pet-shops, rescues and among peers.

On the other hand, if people just see all of the cute "Too" videos on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook and do some internet searches then they will have convinced themselves that owning a cockatoo isn't that big of a deal (like owning any other parrot, or worse yet, like owning a dog, cat or hamster)...If I only talk about the positives, then I am doing a large disservice to the person asking (I am also reducing the amount of devotion and time it takes to keep a well-behaved bird)..If I downplay my experiences, or the experiences of those I have worked with, then the same is true. Cockatoos are VERY unique, and therefore, they are no standards for comparison, even among bird owners. They also can be extremely charismatic and so it can be very easy for potential owners to meet one and fall in love. "They are so sweet and cuddly and quiet in the pet shop..It'll be fine..."

I am glad you keep things fairly upbeat, but I can't keep negativity out of a discussion about cockatoos without omitting a portion of reality. I know that I have probably irritated you with all of this back-and-fourth and I do appreciated your input and your optimism.
I think that all of this discourse is necessary and constructive, so please know that my intent was not to offend, but to reflect what I have learned and witnessed (in my own home and the homes of others). I am speaking honestly.

Remember, just as you have your opinions (and feel strongly about them), I have mine and both are okay...I speak passionately because I care about people and cockatoos. I believe we have that in common.

I am not the first of the last to speak strongly about something, but I do think that my opinion has a place within this discussion and on this forum.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
As the owner of a "happy"/"healthy"cockatoo, I can assure you that "blonde" is farther from the truth than anything...Think self-mutilating emo-kid mixed with a gifted (but non-verbal) toddler. THERE IS NO BIRD HARDER TO CARE FOR....
This is not to say that other birds are easy, but Toos are the most re-homed OF ALL BIRDS...They wake up and demand attention..you don't even know clingy until you have had one. Human "crazy" stops at "mildly needy" cockatoo..Cockatoo "needy" is worse than the craziest of crazy exes.

I just laughed out loud at this...Emo is a great description of the Cockatoos I've worked with...no offense to any Emo's out there, think of this as a compliment...:26:

Honestly, it sounds to me like you need to be looking in the Conure family...A Quaker would fit your bill perfectly as long as you're okay with a smaller bird than what you have now. My Quaker is the most "extroverted" bird in the world, she talks, she dances all day long (no joke, she starts dancing if you simply sing one line of a song to her), she's cuddly, she does tricks, is extremely intelligent, but is also a show-off and definitely the life of the party...But they are about half the size of your Eclectus...So if you're okay with a smaller bird, then a Quaker is perfect for you...

If you want to stick to a larger bird, then a larger species of Conure is probably your best bet for those same qualities...They are extroverted, they dance, most talk, they love attention, they like to show-off, and they are extremely loyal, just as loyal as any dog...And some of the larger Conure species are just wonderful, the one that comes to mind is a Blue Crowned Conure...I have had 2 Blue-Crowned Conures surrendered to the Rescue I work at over the last 8 years, and I can honestly say that both of them were the most memorable birds I've ever worked with out of hundreds of birds...They are hysterically funny with their dancing and showing-off, even when they eat they show-off...They both loved being handled and cuddled, but also would love to play games, sing, talk, etc. Extroverted and cuddly/loving at the same time...And the Blue-Crowned Conures are one of the largest Conures, about the size of your Eclectus (both of the ones I have spent time with were males, so probably a bit larger than the females, as a rule anyway)...Or a Peach-Fronted Conure, or a White-Eyed Conure, any of the larger Conure species are going to give you an extroverted, funny, dancing clown of a bird that also loves their person and wants to be cuddled and loved...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I agree with Ellen in that a conure or quaker would probably be a good fit for what you're seeking. That kind of playfulness and species tendency toward interaction would be right up their alley, I think. I would warn that individual birds most definitely can go against the typical trend of their species, but you seem to have a good grasp of that already.

As for the cockatoo debate, I think that it is a difficult one. Part of the problem is that yes, cockatoos can be VERY challenging. All parrots require a lot of attention, but the consequences of not providing said attention for a 'too tend to be more visibly immediate and severe.

But that's only part of the problem. I honestly think it takes a special person, or better said, a specific personality, to work well with a cockatoo. And I think this element is the greater cause of cockatoo rehomes than anything else. Please understand, I'm not putting anyone down who has had issues with keeping cockatoos. In fact, I honestly don't know if I would have the personality type that would be required to best take care of a 'too, which is why I never wound up getting one. They are beautiful and playful and their feathers just beg you to submerge your face in their fluffiness (not the most manly statement I've ever made, but just keeping it real, here. Don't judge me! Lol), but I don't know that they would fit with my personality type.

It's hard to define what that personality type entails. I have a rather calm demeanor, and I'm patient, both of which are necessary traits for such emotionally amped birds. But there's something more that I find it difficult to define. The two most successful 'too owners I know are Allee and Scott. They have those qualities that I mentioned (and then some!) but there's something more. A little something extra that makes them more suitable as 'too parronts, I think, than most others... myself most certainly included.

I don't know Noodles the way that I know Scott and Allee, but it's quite possible she too had these characteristics... which would explain her having a relatively well-adjusted 'too despite a prior 3 home history.

I mentioned all that just to say this to the OP: If you do decide to look into taking on a 'too, you of course need to do a load of research. You should also make sure to get a lot of interaction in at a local shelter or some such. But in addition to all that, and every bit as important, you should look within as well. And be truly and completely honest with yourself about what you see. Consider, given all you will have learned and experienced at that point, whether you can see yourself making a life-long commitment to so uniquely challenging a bird. And if the answer is "yes", then by all means go for it. There are tons of rehomed cockatoos waiting for someone just like you to take them home. But if the answer is "no", accept that and look for the bird that calls out more specifically to you. No shame in that. Doesn't make you less of a parront. Just more suitable to a different type of parrot.

For me, Ekkies and 'tiels all day, baby! (Yet there are some for whom an ekkie would be out of the question. But there it is. What's your spirit animal? Lol!)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Not having had multiple birds Im speaking blind here and speaking for my own insecurities (which may not be yours), but I’d be very concerned about size differences and the damage the larger could do to the smaller. We’re into consider a second bird, I feel like I would personally want something that can hold its own in an emergency, so I’m not as likely to lose a toe in the blink of an eye.

I’m assuming you have a smaller Solomon’s island Ekkie. What about a smaller amazon, spectacled or lilac crowned for example?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My spirit bird is the quakers so far! I've worked with or taken care of hyacinth macaws, and other macaws, black cockatoo, Amazon, CAG, Nanday, GCC, there are so many I haven't met yet.....but wish to, every too I've met has been friendly but I have spent time in their company. But I love my quakers, funny , and snuggle, and talkative, eat their veggies great, I'd be terrible at taking care if ekkies I'd never get their diet right. Cockatiel are funny cute too ;)! But Quakers are very prone to feather destructive problems because they need a lot of attention and are very smart, two things linked with more behavior problems, that's why there is a Quaker Mutilation Syndrome after all..and cage agressive, just mess with the cage when they are out.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I have worked with cockatoos a lot and I have one, therefore, my input does have a place.

I interact with a lot of people on a daily basis, and the average person is a poor fit for a bird and even less so for a cockatoo.

We both have very different means of approaching this issue and I respect that, but I often feel that, due to a love for our own birds/experiences, it can be easy to downplay or paint a rosier-than-life picture for people who may or may not have the same background, let alone the same bird.

If I only talk about the positives, then I am doing a large disservice to the person asking (I am also reducing the amount of devotion and time it takes to keep a well-behaved bird)..If I downplay my experiences, or the experiences of those I have worked with, then the same is true.

I am glad you keep things fairly upbeat, but I can't keep negativity out of a discussion about cockatoos without omitting a portion of reality.
I think that all of this discourse is necessary and constructive, so please know that my intent was not to offend, but to reflect what I have learned and witnessed (in my own home and the homes of others). I am speaking honestly.

Remember, just as you have your opinions (and feel strongly about them), I have mine and both are okay...I speak passionately because I care about people and cockatoos. I believe we have that in common.

I am not the first of the last to speak strongly about something, but I do think that my opinion has a place within this discussion and on this forum.

I've lived with ten cockatoos (G2, M2, and Citrons) for 31 years and have a fairly refined sense of the species. Anansi (Stephen) makes excellent points suggesting human personality traits as prerequisites to successful life with cockatoos. My inner eight year old exudes from an adult body when handling them, matching body movements, playful gestures and verbalizing dialog and gibberish. A sort of perpetual improvisation, something they keenly observe and reciprocate.

We all have a learning curve, it is rather messianic to presume most folks are wholly unsuited to parronthood. I could submit the same may be stated for many adults on the cusp of parenthood.

My goal is to never romanticize life with cockatoos, but on occasion will advocate a more ambassadorial demeanor to offset negative posts in jackhammer fashion. Examples include walls of frequently bolded text, attempting to validate talking points with redundant and vociferous verbiage, as they cast a long shadow over members seeking opinion.

I am not the least bit offended, but wonder how many cockatoos will remain in stifling shelters or marginal homes because inquisitive ParrotForums members are dissuaded by a wet blanket of gloom? I respect your views, sincerity, and passion, but will continue to advocate a balanced discourse for the benefit of all members.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I had a response typed up, but I erased it. I hope you have a lovely night!
YAY cockatoos.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Totally getting away from your original question (sorry) but I wish we could find more people like Scott who succesfully have multiple too's that turned out just fine (even more than that).
On the other hand: his flock is spread out quite a bit over the house because even though they are related some of them cannot stand each other/ cannot be kept together.
It would be *so* wonderfull to find more of these mini-flocks with their own dynamics and (finally) learn to do it right for them!

Back to the birds-match:
I second (third/ fourth?) the motion of getting at least one that matches size/ weightwise the original bird.

I have a macaw in the mix now and she is at least 2x the greys (size and weight), and it is not a comfortable situation. One bite and no more grey.
(and of course my male grey tries to divebomb her.../ stupid bird!)

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I think the size issue is important, but if you're planning to let them out separately it's less of an issue.

From what you've said about your guy I'd be more inclined to get a smaller bird so he is less likely to get bullied by a more outgoing bird of the same size!

I have no direct experience, but caiques seem to be "clowns" turned up to 11 from what I've seen!!! I'm pretty in love with them, but unlike you I know I only have room in my home and more importantly heart for one parrot (and a Mynah bird and 2 snakes and a cat and a dog and a husband!) and I don't think I could handle the constant playfulness of caiques.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
I've no advice I'm afraid but I do know that after I got enzo I thought a partner would be great for her but I'm so glad I didn't let the flock expand, I thought more equals better.. after getting to know enzo and speaking to her previous parront another bird would not have worked. 2years in to our home I also realise how much work it takes to have a mid sized parrot both physically and emotionally, bit of a shock really.

Scott love your reply and you talking of your inner 8yr old, these feathered friends definitely bring this out even for me, and I'm very 'blokey'

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Scott love your reply and you talking of your inner 8yr old, these feathered friends definitely bring this out even for me, and I'm very 'blokey'

Amazing to see how well they respond! When I begin to march in an oval around a particular playstand, the 3 goffins in sight will become animated, and 2 will generally fly to the shoulders! Zany, but it works!

Most Reactions

Latest posts