Time to clip wings?

natv

Jan 24, 2013
South Florida
Parrots
Eclectus - Vosmaeri
Kiwi is just over 13 months old. He was clipped when I got him (at 7 months).

He now has one long feather on each side (where the others were clipped). I don't know if this pair of feathers is fully grown or a blood-feather.

At what point should I take him to the vet for a clipping? Should I wait for a 2nd set to come in? How do I know it's fully grown?

Thanks
Nathalie

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Does Kiwi let you touch him? If you can pull out the wing and look at the base of the feather. If the feather still has a blood supply(look at below image) it is not yet ready to be clipped. You may have to move the coverts around a little to get a good look at the feather base. Have you ever considered clipping the feathers yourself?

Slide2.jpg

OP
natv

natv

Jan 24, 2013
South Florida
Parrots
Eclectus - Vosmaeri
Thanks, unfortunately he won't let me touch him so I wouldn't be able to get a close enough look.

Is a good guideline that when another pair starts to grow that this first pair is ready to be cut? Maybe I should wait until I start to see the next set come in?

(I'd be taking him to the vet so they can clip, and of course if he's not ready for a clip yet I'm sure they'd just send me home)

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Wow, I didn't know every 8 to 12 weeks to clip! I was told every four months. Oliver was last clipped in April and this past Saturday his nails were trimmed and I was told he's good on his wings for another two months, which would make it closer to 6 months. All so confusing!

Most Reactions