Timneh African Grey lost in Burlington Vermont

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
OMG BILL!!! I just saw this thread :02: Poor poor Timneh! And people can be so friggin heartless getting their kicks from other peoples pain! P.M.O. to no end :mad: Yes I know your part of Vermont from being up there every day, five days a week for ten years making deliveries to the newspaper. Rt 7 has the University right there and tree-lined streets. SOMEONE has had to see her! Is she the type that would willingly go to strangers,Bill?
My thoughts and prayers are with you Bill,truly. Maybe if you hang her keyboard from a tree limb she'd see it and come tear off keys?? () sorry buddy,just trying to get you to chuckle)

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I seem to recall Burlington is a college town, a campus very close to the central district? Not sure how many students are round for the summer, but perhaps placing flyers on campus might help?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I seem to recall Burlington is a college town, a campus very close to the central district? Not sure how many students are round for the summer, but perhaps placing flyers on campus might help?

Yair and tell โ€˜em no prank callers or La Manuka Scarlette will teach โ€˜em a lesson they wonโ€™t soon forget!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Yes Scott they have a HUGE campus..blocks and blocks long. I believe they also have a medical campus also.

Jim

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh Bill I'm so sorry about Timneh! I haven't been on the forum much in the last month because of going in and out of the hospital for multiple knee surgeries, and I just now logged on to find your thread...I know it's frustrating and scary, but don't lose faith or patience, you'll find her as long as you keep looking for her, just like Wrench already said, only when you stop looking will you not find her!

I just went through this about a month and a half ago with Lita, my Blue Quaker, she flew out the sliding-glass door and up and over the roof of the house...I got so lucky, I managed to get her back around 3:00 p.m. the next day, so she was only gone from 6:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. the next day, but that night she was outside, and in a horrible rainstorm, and was in the top of tree behind my house, well you can't not feel guilty once you go back inside and go to bed, so I feel ya there for sure.

***USE FACEBOOK CONTINUALLY, AS IT'S ONE OF YOUR BEST RESOURCES TO SPREAD THE WORD! Make sure you're updating your Facebook posts about her multiple times each day, and make sure that you're posting on your own Timeline and on LOCAL PAGES/TIMELINES and not just on Parrot911's Facebook page or other "national" pages....Spreading the word LOCALLY is top-priority!!!

****HAVE YOU MADE A "LOST-BIRD" AD ON YOUR LOCAL CRAIGSLIST PET-PAGES? IF NOT, YOU NEED TO DO THAT IMMEDIATELY!!! AND YOU ALSO NEED TO BE SEARCHING ALL OF YOUR LOCAL CRAIGSLIST PET-PAGES AT LEAST TWICE A DAY (FIRST THING IN THE MORNING AND LAST THING AT NIGHT) LOOKING FOR ANY ADS FROM PEOPLE WHO MAY HAVE FOUND TIMNEH!!! I don't know how familiar you are with Craigslist, but people who find pets outside often go to their local Craigslist Pet-Page FIRST to post that they have found a pet outside, and they generally will only give very general info about the pets they find (if they're smart), like "I found a Parrot outside in (fill in town). If you lost your pet Parrot, contact me and describe your Parrot, and we'll see if it's yours"....So Craigslist is probably the most important place to both post your lost-parrot ad and search for found-parrot ads, even more important that Facebook because Craigslist is completely local to your town/city, and you can search all surrounding towns/cities as well.

Again, I don't know how familiar you are with Craigslist, but obviously Burlington has their own Craigslist page (Ben and Jerry's is there for God's sake!)...So if you go to the Burlington, VT Craigslist homepage, you want to look under the "Community" heading, and under the "Community" heading you'll see "Pets". So you want to click on "Pets" under that heading, and then the local Burlington Pet-page will pop-up. There is a search-bar at the top of the Pet-page, so you can search to see if anyone has posted that they've found a Parrot in Burlington by just typing in "Parrot" in the search-bar at the top (best to be general in your search rather than specific, like you don't want to search for "lost Parrot" because you don't know what the ads will be tagged with...So do a search for "Parrot" and then scroll through the search-results to see if anyone locally has found a Parrot...Then if you look at the left-hand side of the Pet-Page you'll see where you can set your search parameters, and you can search out I believe a maximum of 200-miles from the town's/city's page you're already on...So you'd already be on Burlington's page, so just change the search distance to the "200-mile" max, type "Parrot" in the search-bar, and then it will show you all the results from 200-miles out from Burlington in every direction...Then make sure you're doing that same search at least once every morning and once every night so you'll know when someone posts an ad that they've found Timneh!

****Also a really good idea, if you haven't done it already, to post your own "lost-Parrot" ad in the same "Community" Pet-page of Burlington's Craigslist. It's best if you post a photo of Timneh in the ad, state the date and time she was lost so that people will know if she is the bird that they've found (not that there should be too many Greys flying around New England anyway), and then list all of your information so that people can contact you, including any reward you're offering. And make sure that you're logging-in to your Craigslist account and re-posting/refreshing your ad once every day so that it will keep being put at the top of the Pet-page for people to see and be aware of, otherwise if you don't update/refresh your ad every day, it will just get pushed down the list further and further, and people don't tend to look at ads that are older than a day or two.

Other than using Craigslist, I can't ad a whole lot of advice, you've already posted Timneh on Parrot911 and different Facebook pages, so Craigslist is the other huge place to post and search for her...There is also www.ParrotAlert.com (which is totally different than Parrot911Alert); actually if you just go to Google and search for "Lost Parrot Resources" the entire first page of results are all the most-popular and most-used lost-parrot websites that you can both post your lost-bird ad on and also search the found-parrot ads on...

Other than that, post your flyers in all of the Pet Shops/Bird Shops, Veterinary Offices, Rescues and Shelters, Restaurants, Walmarts (they have a bulletin-board up front of the store that you can pin a flyer to), local storefronts, etc. And try to at least hit all of the Pet Shops, Veterinary Offices, and Rescues/Shelters that are within 15 miles of Burlington, and you want to not only post flyers, but you also want to alert the owners/managers/all employees of these places, ESPECIALLY THE PET SHOPS/BIRD SHOPS!!! You want to make sure that ALL of the pet shops and bird shops in and near Burlington are totally aware that Timneh is lost, because what often happens is that the person who finds your Parrot goes to these Pet Shops/Bird Shops to buy a cage, toys, food, etc., and typically they buy it all at one time because they don't have anything for a bird in their homes. So you want all of the employees at all of the local Pet Shops/Bird Shops keeping their eyes open for a person/people who comes in and buys a large-size birdcage, along with toys and food and everything else someone who just got a new (and their first) parrot needs to buy! Then hopefully the employees can strike-up a conversation with the person, asking them what type of bird they have, how long they've had it, etc. And hopefully get their license-plate before they leave the parking-lot.

****One more thing...As far as that tool who called you and started screwing with you about having Timneh...I have no idea why, but EVERY SINGLE TIME someone loses a Parrot, it seems as though they all get at least one of those same calls like you got from someone who says that they "think they have found your bird", and then they keep screwing with you, they don't show-up to meet you, they often lead people around on a wild goose-chase all over town and never show-up, they refuse to describe anything about the bird, and then just as you're ready to hang-up on them they'll spit-out a general trait of that species of parrot just to keep you on the phone, etc. It's sick, they're sick, but it ALWAYS HAPPENS with lost Parrots...One of the very popular Youtube Vloggers lost her Moustache Parakeet, and she did a Live-Stream where a guy came on to the live-chat and said that he had found him and he was at a McDonald's in LA with the bird, that's where he found him, in a tree at this McDonald's in downtown LA...Well she lives in Encino, which is about a 30-45 minute drive from downtown LA, but she got in the car of course, as did other local fans of hers, to drive into downtown LA to meet him, the entire time he was screwing with her/them just like that guy was messing with you...Turned out that the guy was actually in freaking Alaska and was just "screwing with her for something to do" as he put it...So people are sick and they love to prey on people who are desperate to find their birds, like it's entertainment to them. You don't want to fall-prey to them, but at the same time you don't want to ignore someone who might actually have Timneh...So use your judgement, you handled that first guy very well, so just use your best judgement and make sure that you don't accidentally give away any details/specifics about Timneh right away, because you obviously want anyone who contacts you and says they have her to describe specifics about Timneh that they would only know if they really had her...

Good luck, if we can help you in any way please just ask!!! Thinking about you and Timneh both and sending positive-energy!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I thought I'd take a look at Craigslist near you (I don't think you've posted a "lost-bird" ad on Craigslist, or at least I didn't see it, so I'd do that ASAP), and I didn't really see anything except this one ad for someone Re-Homing their Timneh African Grey in MA, a good haul from Burlington and probably not Timneh, but something is weird about this ad...This person doesn't show a photo, but says that their Timneh African Grey is a female, 13 years-old, and they suddenly need to re-home her because "my dog keeps trying to eat her"...Just weird that all of a sudden his dog keeps attacking his 13 year-old bird so he's re-homing her...Doesn't give many details except she has a "malaligned beak"...So if Timneh also has a "malaligned beak" then I'd be curious...This person originally posted this ad on June 8th, so 5-days after Timneh took off, so that's a bit of a coincidence, but again, it's a haul from Burlington for a Timneh to fly in 5-days...Just thought I'd post the link for you to take a look at...If Timneh does have a malaligned beak then I'd be interested, that would be too coincidental, otherwise probably nothing, though you could email them and ask them to send you a photo of her, just to make sure...

https://worcester.craigslist.org/pet/d/auburn-timneh-african-grey/6907711751.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
I forgot to post this one yesterday, it popped-up upon a search I did online for "parrots found in Vermont"; it's a weird one that was posted on the 22nd of June, advertising a "Gray/mixed parrot" for adoption and that's it in northern MA, much closer to you than the one above and actually possible...

https://www.birdsnow.com/bird-ad-o5393919464

I know these probably aren't Timneh (although this one is shady as hell), but I'd not be able to sleep if I didn't at least post them for you to contact and ask for a photo to be sent and get to ask questions to the people who have these birds...You never know, and all avenues have to be checked, especially since from reading through this entire thread it doesn't seem like there have been any sightings of Timneh since she got away, which makes it seem like someone may have found her very early-on after she got loose...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Okay so I'm going to stop doing this to you, but I had to post this one since I know how she works, as does everyone else on this forum (she gets birds from EVERYWHERE, anywhere she can)...Ana's Parrots in northeast PA just listed an adult Timneh for sale on the 24th, and there is a great photo in this link...Just making sure it's not your Timneh, because god knows she has sellers/brokers all over the northeast, so if one of her "people" would find a pet parrot outside that was lost, she would certainly pay the to bring them to her...She lists parrots for sale all the time that she buys from people who are genuinally "re-homing" them, then the next day they are posted for sale by her, and she has posted/sold many parrots found outside for sale as well, so I had to make sure...Just check the photo to make sure it's not Timneh, you'll be able to tell immediately I'm sure, it's a close-up shot that is very clear...
https://www.hoobly.com/p/vHx7e

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you very much for your help. Timneh was in the lost and found section of craigslist but I donโ€™t think itโ€™s up there anymore. I love and miss her. Itโ€™s too hard to come to this site very often anymore Iโ€™m sorry everyone. I havenโ€™t used my living room since sheโ€™s been gone. That was her room, and where we spent many many happy hours together.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I understand, Bill. You are grieving her loss even as she is possibly alive. Not knowing is so hard, impossible to make peace with her absence.

You are always welcome here.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
My heart aches for you Bill. I've been checking this thread in hope of a miracle. I figured that coming here was in the 'too hard basket' for you. It would be for me. Please know that we are all thinking of you and missing you and Timneh very much.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I'm so sorry that there's been so change in this; it's heartbreaking to lose a friend as you have. We feel the absence too much and while time helps, the scar remains. Thinking of you and praying.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I too check this thread to see if the miracle has occurred. Keep looking!!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I keep searching the web for signs of anyone in Vermont finding a grey bird... and checking this thread... and praying... My heart aches to think of how Bill must be feeling.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers and hopes and dreams. I still have hopes that Timneh and I will be reunited at sometime. I feel because she seemed to disappear so quickly without hardly a trace sighting of her, that someone has her somewhere in their home. As fall comes around also and the leaves fall from the trees I'm hoping if she is still outdoors that spotting her will be a much easier task.

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
I feel your pain.
Never give up hope.
sending hugs and wishes

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I lost my Senegal parrot in a similar way, it was raining and windy and the screen door blew open. She got spooked and flew out. She landed in the tree in my front yard and I could have easily gotten her back, but a chicken hawk came out of nowhere and chased her into the trees across the street. I was for sure it got her as it was right on her when they dissapeared into the trees and I was completely devastated. Two days later she was seen on the patio roof at a restaurant around the corner from my house. The guitar player posted her picture on the counties lost and found pet site and she was totally unharmed. Unfortunately by the time I got there she already flew away.

I have flyers out and have her posted on so many different sites that keep getting leads and I've been going on these wild goose (or should I say parrot) chases and I always end up dissapointed. I drove 200 miles to look at a senegal that somebody found and posted on 911 parrot alert. It wasn't her. She's been gone over a month now and I know the intense pain and guilt you are going through.

I've lost dogs before and found them quickly, but losing a bird is entirely something else, they just dissapear and I've looked in so many trees that I never want to look at another tree again. I hope you find your baby, they are stronger out there than we would think.

I also saw your post about Pet Amber Alert, it's a total scam. But if you haven't tried PawBoost yet, that one is legit. It's free for a week and then they charge if you keep updating it. They do send out all the alerts as promised because I checked.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts