Tiny the cockatiel

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Oh, I've had tiny cockatiels, too! Working in a vet clinic they kinda fell in my lap, so to speak, when the owners were overwhelmed with at-home care. While these cockatiels had health issues, and many did not live a long life, they were the most endearing pet birds I've owned. Many of these birds appeared to have some sort of absorption issue, and did not absorb nutrients like normal cockatiels. The vets didn't know if this was a genectic fluke or caused by improper diet.

Don't get me wrong when I said didn't live a long life-mine lasted about 8 years or so, while my normal cockatiels lived to be 20 plus years. I didn't put the minis in with the larger cockatiels, and discovered the affected birds did well when kept in pairs. That way there was no competition for perches, food and so forth. Keeping stress at a minimum does help these little birds survive longer.

Many of my minis did seem to suffer from malabsorption through out their life and remained on hand feeding formula as a supplement. They did well on various seed sprouts and what chicken owners know as 'fermented feed'. They also do well on cooked diets.

I really like your bird's attitude. In one photo he is alert and standing erect. I gotta feeling you are going to enjoy this little guy. He's a lucky bird!

Limiju

Mar 6, 2014
Cayman Islands
Parrots
Cockatiels, lovebirds and parakeets
She is too cute!!!!!! It gives me hope that maybe my little Angel with survive with her little size, as long as I can be a good mum like you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts