Tips for a conure

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Hi everyone, I had my conure for a few months but this past month Ive been pretty busy a lot and found out that I dont know everything about having a parrot.
I just want to ask some tips for bonding, building trust and training.
How did you guys act when getting a conure?
I want to have a fresh start with my bird.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Here’s a link for building trust:

How tame or handleable is your conure currently?

I recommend starting with target training as this a great way to train hands off.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Welcome to the forums!

Here’s a link for building trust:

How tame or handleable is your conure currently?

I recommend starting with target training as this a great way to train hands off.
Thanks, what do you mean by handleable or tame? Hes pretty much scared of my hands but he will eat a treat through the bars or sometimes when hes out. He also when hes out approaches my hand when im by the table and nibbles on my hair. If that is helpful of some sorts

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks, what do you mean by handleable or tame? Hes pretty much scared of my hands but he will eat a treat through the bars or sometimes when hes out. He also when hes out approaches my hand when im by the table and nibbles on my hair. If that is helpful of some sorts
Oh I asked because I wanted to see if he steps up or anything so I didn’t give you advice if things you don’t need advice for.

It sounds like you’re making progress. I would continue to feed him treats, some people designate a treat bowl which they drop a treat into often, this helps the bird realize that good things happen when you show up.

I’ll link a few YouTube channels that’s have good information and examples of target training:

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Oh I asked because I wanted to see if he steps up or anything so I didn’t give you advice if things you don’t need advice for.

It sounds like you’re making progress. I would continue to feed him treats, some people designate a treat bowl which they drop a treat into often, this helps the bird realize that good things happen when you show up.

I’ll link a few YouTube channels that’s have good information and examples of target training:
Oh okay, thank you so much. Ill check out the channels. Also I mention that he nibbles on my hair, what does that mean? I heard that it means he likes me but I just wanna be sure

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh okay, thank you so much. Ill check out the channels. Also I mention that he nibbles on my hair, what does that mean? I heard that it means he likes me but I just wanna be sure
It sounds like he’s trying to preen your hair. Often this is an affectionate behavior. He could also be curious.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
It sounds like he’s trying to preen your hair. Often this is an affectionate behavior. He could also be curious.
Oh okay. So for now just feed him treats for a few weeks? Also another question sorry its annoying but when he screams a lot in the morning and sometimes in the evening but its rare i put a blanket over the cage bevause ive been told it will calm him down. But it looks like hes scared but sometimes its unbearable the screams so what do I do? Because now when he screams and i just stand up he seems scared :( never meant to scar him, is it fixable?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh okay. So for now just feed him treats for a few weeks? Also another question sorry its annoying but when he screams a lot in the morning and sometimes in the evening but its rare i put a blanket over the cage bevause ive been told it will calm him down. But it looks like hes scared but sometimes its unbearable the screams so what do I do? Because now when he screams and i just stand up he seems scared :( never meant to scar him, is it fixable?
Yes I would continue feeding him treats so he knows that good things come from humans.

It’s not annoying! This is what parrot forums is for 🙂

Hm, screaming can be tough to deal with, especially if a parrot does it often. Does he have plenty of toys to destroy? You could hide treats in his toys to occupy him.

To get him more used to you being around, I’d sit in a chair as close to his cage as he’s comfortable with, each day, move the chair closer if he is comfortable with it. He’ll show he's okay with you by eating, drinking, playing, and behaving as normal around you.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Yes I would continue feeding him treats so he knows that good things come from humans.

It’s not annoying! This is what parrot forums is for 🙂

Hm, screaming can be tough to deal with, especially if a parrot does it often. Does he have plenty of toys to destroy? You could hide treats in his toys to occupy him.

To get him more used to you being around, I’d sit in a chair as close to his cage as he’s comfortable with, each day, move the chair closer if he is comfortable with it. He’ll show he's okay with you by eating, drinking, playing, and behaving as normal around you.
He got some bells snd balls or how to call them but he destroyed those so now he has just bells and one ball 😭 But tommorow or the day after im going shopping to buy some food for him snd toys :D. And thank you I appreciate it.
So even though I had him for a few months now I can still gain his trust back? Thats the thing that had been stressing me most. Ive been pretty busy these past few months or coming home late so I was really worried. But i feel like were still making progress. Again thank you so much

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Did he trust you when you first got him? Have you noticed with you being around less he’s become scared of you?

That’s awesome that you’ll be getting him more toys. My green cheek loves Birdie kabobs and soft woods like balsa or thin sliced pine.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Did he trust you when you first got him? Have you noticed with you being around less he’s become scared of you?

That’s awesome that you’ll be getting him more toys. My green cheek loves Birdie kabobs and soft woods like balsa or thin sliced pine.
He was scared of me the first week or so. He was always in the corner of the cage not coming close to me. I mean now he eats close to me and stuff like that. He eats out of my hand and sometimes when i put like a little bit of my finger between the bars he will bite my nails, not sure why 🤣. But for example when i give him a treat he takes it and distances himself, but he still takes it that good right?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
He was scared of me the first week or so. He was always in the corner of the cage not coming close to me. I mean now he eats close to me and stuff like that. He eats out of my hand and sometimes when i put like a little bit of my finger between the bars he will bite my nails, not sure why 🤣. But for example when i give him a treat he takes it and distances himself, but he still takes it that good right?
Sounds like he’s curious about your nails probably.

I think it’s very promising that he’s now comfortable enough to take treats from you. Even my green cheek who is very tame will take a treat from me and walk away with it. I think they do this naturally because, in the wild, they don’t want another parrot to take it from them.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Sounds like he’s curious about your nails probably.

I think it’s very promising that he’s now comfortable enough to take treats from you. Even my green cheek who is very tame will take a treat from me and walk away with it. I think they do this naturally because, in the wild, they don’t want another parrot to take it from them.
ALSO ALSO noticed today in the morning hes scared when im walking or atleast i think.
He goes into a corner for a little bit but when i sit down next to him its okay and comes to the bowl so hes close to me.

Most Reactions