Tires?

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Was wondering if tires could be used as a toy or swing for a Mac? I have tons of mc tires in my garage. Will do some more research on sanitizing to see if they could possibly be safe, but what about new tires. I've also seen a lot of rubber spacers, could those be used in toy construction? Are there certain kinds of rubber I should or shouldn't use? As always, thank you guys for your input :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I don't know of any specific studies that have been done relevant to dangers of new and/or
used automotive tires present to companion birds, however, there have been recent (within the last 10 years)
done on the safety of chopped up tires for use in children's playgrounds and the following chemicals and substances were
found to be present in this/these chopped up rubber/tires...and although the studies were primarily concerned with
inhaliation of substances, many of the following substances/items are deadly to companion birds, in their own right,
let alone mixed with other substances:

acetone, aniline, arsenic, barium, benzene,benzothiazole, cadmium,
chloroethane, chromium, cobalt, copper, halogenated flame retardants,
isoprene, latex, lead, manganese, mercury, methyl ethyl ketone,
methyl isobutyl ketone, naphthalene, nickel, nylon, phenol, pigments,
polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, polyester, rayon,styrene‑butadiene,
toluene, trichloroethylene

For further information, take a look at: Tire Crumbs | Featured News | Exposure Research | US EPA

I think I would find other, safer ways of disposing of or otherwise utilizing a
garage full of used and/or new tires.....

OP
Solo

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I had concerns about them ingesting, so was thinking supervised. I just like to get creative with things I have laying around as a way to reuse them. I make a lot of thing with tires..and pallets. Will save the tires for ottomans and plant holders.

carolz

Dec 5, 2014
I would not use tires, the smell alone would bother me and i would be concerned for them.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
No. Absolutely not safe if he chews on those... and they will! As an ingestion hazard it could kill him. As a chemical hazard, it could kill him.

You can make a hoop swing or large atom from bird safe PVC, and it will last forever...

For that matter, a couple of hula hoops covered with either gorilla tape, or vet wrap and hung with a chain or baby C-link makes a very, very simple hoop perch or atom. And you can get those hula hoops at the dollar store.

Without risking the life of your bird!

OP
Solo

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I am aware, after further reading. This is a pretty old thread. I had seen some toys made out of tire and thought it was questionable, thus the reason I asked the forum and did research on my own.

Most Reactions

Latest posts