To keep cage closed or open.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
So Timneh lost her whole toe nail from gettin caught in the vent hole in the moon roof of her house. I feel bad cause this is where she likes to hang out the most but I haven’t opened it since the incident a couple days ago. Was her toe getting caught a fluke? Or should I go ahead and just keep it closed she still has her perch door and her awesome playstand. So I’m thinking she will just have to readjust to no moon roof. Thanks for any advice, broke my heart when Timneh held her foot out to show me what happened to her. :confused::confused:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup, its why I love those boring, rectangle, box style cages with a single, large, full-height front door!

Strong lock those nice looking opening closed and use only the front door opening! Depending of the style and type of the fancy opening, they can kill. You got lucky my friend.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Mr. Boat said!

Also...

You may think I'm paranoid, but if you knew the Rb, you'd understand why he is NEVER out of my sight when loose. He is a crazy, unreliable, untrustworthy, destructive, clumsy, 3-Stooges Curly bird. Even when he was briefly clipped, decades ago, he would leap and crash to the ground and look for something to destroy or injest, or a place to catch a nail or beak in! Plenty of parrots aren't at all like that, but I just had to throw that out there or I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself, paranoid or not! Thanks for hearing me out.

Good luck. I am so SO sorry about Timneh's nail. Breaks my heart to picture her "showing her parront" what the mean ol' cage did!

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you super moderators for being super! I love the RB stories, you guys are awesome. Timneh made sure I knew what was going on before she would step up. She was really tough though no whining for my baby. I got lucky for sure she Could of easily broken her toe or foot. They need to put more thought into those things when in actual use by the parrots.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm glad Timneh is recovering! Unfortunately not all manufacturers consider the antics and curiosity of parrots!

I guess your question is whether to keep her main door open? Is there any way to plug the hole?

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I could write a 300 page novel about Perjo's cage door.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Sorry Scott I'm wondering about the top moon roof. The whole top opens up and shes always played up there. I'm thinking I will pin her front door open so it can't slam shut on her. Never used to bother with it because I would always open the top moon roof. ordered up this cool mug.
3dRose InspirationzStore Pet designs - African Grey Parrot Dad - bird lover exotic pet owner - text with bird footprints - Mugs
by 3dRose
Link: http://a.co/hdr2DfN

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh, I understand! Those moon-roofs are a great way to expand the cage, but yes, the doors can be a problem. I generally keep them shut, though some birds love to pick the lock open and try to open the doors!

Awesome mug!!

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
I can’t leave the house with my grey out on his cage but for Chico my grey and Marty my blue and gold I leave the door open. When I leave the house I close the greys door but my macaw is open sun up closed sun down.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I'm so sorry this happened and I'm glad she is fairing well.

I'm not sure I'm following exactly what happened? So, please bear with me.
Are you talking about these types of cages?
tami2-albums-levi-picture18694-cabin-cage.jpg

If so, I've noticed that the top is dangerous, as feet & toes can get caught if the perch is not installed to prevent the sides from closing. In addition to the perch my husband secures both sides with a bungie just as a second safety measure.

I also bungie the front cage door of his cages to keep it from slamming shut on him.
tami2-albums-misc-picture19146-cage-bungie-secure-levi-s-cage-door-when-open.jpg

I keep his cage doors open and secured b/c he is out of his cage all the time when we are home and he can independently return to his cage when he wants.
I have ladders & large dog chew ropes that he can climb up from the floor.

The door is closed & lock only when we are out, for bedtime & when he is not being supervised.

I hope this is helpful, if of course I am understanding correctly?

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Yup that's the kind of cage I'm talking about. On my cage where Levi is standing there's vent holes on either side and thats what she got her toe stuck in and she freaked out and flew away without her nail. Took like 5 seconds. Very nice looking tami.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Here’s the hole in the top of the moon roof.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Yes moon roofs are DANGEROUS, I never open mine, I had it colapse once thank god I was there.

On the other side....I rarely lock clark up in his cage except when I sleep. When I'm away he always stays in the room and usually it's either in his cage, in my headboard, or in one particular drawer. He's always in one of those three spots. I've had him going on about three years now and he's show himself to be a responsible predictable young adult bird. So I don't feel the need to limit him since he imposes his own limits. Also the room is bird proofed, no cords nothing dangerous in the room at all.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Yup that's the kind of cage I'm talking about. On my cage where Levi is standing there's vent holes on either side and thats what she got her toe stuck in and she freaked out and flew away without her nail. Took like 5 seconds. Very nice looking tami.

Thank you :D :heart:

Most Reactions