Tobi the CAG & his silly MOM

Kodi

Sep 1, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
CAG appx 5-7yrs old
LOL ok I was posting about my rescued CAG and accidently hit enter before I was done posting. OH well. I was almost done. Tobi (5-7 years old) has had me for about a month now. He lives with me and my 2 dogs (but lately one of my dogs lives mostly with my ex and her dog not far from me) I am 60 now and have time to devote to Tobi til death do us part. I enjoy dog training, light gardening, audio books and Tv/Netflix. In the past, before my health bombed, I enjoyed hiking, kayaking, running, swimming, camping, fishing, and my horses. I have worked at various jobs throughout the years; however, none of that seems to matter anymore. I am a 100% disabled veteran (non combat) I endeavor to live in the present. Currently, my biggest challenge since I brought Tobi home is to get him off of his seed diet. So far he still hates his pellets but I have found a way to out smart him!!!! Ah HA! I take his pellets and pulverize them in a coffee grinder, next I pulverize some whole oatmeal. I mix 2/3 pellet to 1/3 oatmeal add a little warm coconut or almond milk and mix. He says, "good stuff, MmmmMmm"
lol I hope to eventually get him on the pellets without the oatmeal and all the grinding but if I can't its OK at least he doesn't have to eat cat food or all seeds anymore (former homes) I also, serve him fresh vegsn&nfruit every day. He has a fine new 40x30 condo (I hate the word cage) and a play pen that I can roll around all over the house. His wings were improperly clipped and I have no idea if he ever fledged. Will be bringing this up in a different post. Sadly, he took a nose dive and broke the tip of his beak off. What a bloody mess that was. It took 10 minutes to get it to completely stop :( I was very worried. I couldn't find the styptic powder so I resorted to corn starch and had him bite on paper towels to absorb the blood (didn't want it down his throat) He ate mash for a couple of days and is just fine now. He has tons of toys and shreddable fun. Today he played in a box full of papers most of the day.
Well, see ya'll in other forums; just sayin' hi and doing an intro :) Kodi P.S. As a child and young adult, I had several parakeets, 2 cockatiels, and I have rescued and rehomed a blue and gold macaw and a severe macaw. I was not in a situation to keep them. I believe that birds belong free and should not be owned or bred unless its for conservation . Contrarily, I also believe in rescuing and providing homes for birds that are already owned as they cannot be turned out to the wild. If you have dogs and/or cats please, please, please spay and neuter.

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Welcome! Yes all of us CAG owners are owned completely by our birds. Welcome and welcome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Welcome! You hit the nail right on the head. We get a skewed view here, because only people interested in their parrot's welfare join up and post, but I fear the majority of people are not suited for parrot guardianship. Cat food and seeds? I'm glad your CAG found a safe harbor with you and a little jealous. The local shelter gets them now and then and everybody wants them. The shelter messages me with hints about how they'd love to fix us up... but I am not a suitable parront. I travel too much. But boy, would I love to have one of those little guys...

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I know your pain with the pellets when I got Timneh she had all the peanuts and sunflower seeds she could want. She was like what the heck are these things. I still grind them up and mix em up with fresh veggies but Timneh my TAG does eat the zupreem fruit blend pellets pretty well now. Welcome to the forums.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Thats quite a starting tale, thanks for rescuing this guy.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Kodi, welcome to you and Tobi. What an interesting intro.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome, Kodi and Tobi! Fantastic intro, thank you! Congratulations to both of you, I'm glad Tobi found you!

Last edited:

Most Reactions