toilet train

liamwang

Feb 6, 2015
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure & Yellow Sided Conure
hi i have a GCC its around 4-5month right now, when i bought its 3month+ i trained him to poop inside/top of his cage for 3weeks already but he still pooping around! can anyone tell me why? and how to train him fly back to poop inside/top his cage?? (when i bring him back to cage i say poty he will poop and i will say good boy and give him treat.):confused:

and also if training of him to free flight and other tricks etc... is it a MUST to have clicker? cause i didn't have any clicker while training him.

OP
L

liamwang

Feb 6, 2015
Singapore
Parrots
but i heard that conure can be trained to fly back to cage poop and come back to you. not possible?

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Im sure it is possible, i find it easier to just watch for the signs and move him off me. he has the idea now after a few weeks and the accidents are getting much much fewer and farthur between. He waits to go untill hes back in a gym or in the cage or on his playtop now.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
First you need to train him how to not poop on you. Then you need to train him flight recall. Then you need to train him to go to his cage as a part of flight recall, and time it for when he has to go to the bathroom if you want him to go to his cage on your command.

If he's an excellent flier, he'll be like my Shiko who is potty trained and will simply fly away to his perch, his cage, or Avery's cage to go potty. Avery will simply hold it until she feels she's in a place she's allowed to go.

lquan

Nov 6, 2013
El Monte, CA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Conure
Training a conure to fly back inside its cage is difficult enough already, adding potty trainning to that is almost impossible.:rolleyes:

It is best to have a bird stand outside of the cage with some newspapers below and train it to poop from the stand.

You need to keep your eyes on him while trainning him for a week or two. Conure poops every 10 to 15 minutes. Every 10 to 15 minutes, put him on the stand and say "poop". Don't let him go back on you until he poops. You need to stay there with him until he poops. If you leave, he will follow you. Once he learned to associate the command "poop", he will poop on your command.

My Lily is potty trainned. She never poop on people or fabric. She loves to cling onto people in her family. If she needs to poop, she flies down onto the nearest table top to poop and then fly back onto our shoulders. Accidents only happen when she is spooked and has to take off from our shoulders; but that is very rare for Lily.

Lily's sleeping cage doesn't have a door. She flies out on her own in the morning, poops from the bird stand next to her sleeping cage, and flies into the bathroom to wait for us every morning. There is never any poop inside her sleeping cage. Our bathroom has an opened window for fresh air where she loves to cling onto the screen to watch the other morning birds. Of course, this took me 2 weeks of waking up at 6:30am to train her to this routine.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My Gilbert is by far not 100% but he tries. What he seems to have learned is to say "go poop", usually before he goes. Sometimes he doesn't give me enough time but often he says it a number of times and I grab him quickly and hold him over something appropriate. He still does go places he isn't supposed to but I am happy with his effort. We took a bath together the other day (he likes this, although I was actually taking a bath alone and he flew over to join me) and he stood on the edge of the tub, said "go poop", went on the floor and then flew in the tub with me. When we shower, I tell him 'go poop' and hold him over the toilet before our shower. I just get grossed out by poop in my bath/shower! Yuck. Anyhow I was happy with the effort.
But for him, his rule has been that he is not permitted to exit the cage until he steps up, waits while I say 'go poop', and I hold him there until he does it, then I say 'good' and he comes out. So he relates doing it on command to good stuff and therefore enjoys even saying it. LOL
I'm not sure there is a way to make them 100% potty trained though. I keep 'shoulder jacket' or 'shoulder towel' handy. ;)

OP
L

liamwang

Feb 6, 2015
Singapore
Parrots
wow guys great advise thanks all, i will try to train to see if there's any result! if doesnt will change to a bird stand to train..

Royalroacho

Dec 30, 2014
i think i must have gotten pretty lucky, YoYo wont poop on me for whatever reason. hes in my hair or a scarf ive started wearing for him, and hell start making noises when he wants to go to my finger to poop. i guess this is common knowledge, but whenever hed do it, id say "go poop!" and praise him alot. now hell pretty much do it on command, and i take him over the toilet, he poops, then climbs back onto me. im not sure if ill beable to get him to go to a specific area, but hes still unflighted. i know ive heard of alot of people doing it, though.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Same for my JoJo. I have only had him just under two months, but he has never pooped on me. My daughter, only one time, and it was obvious he was trying to move off her. He will fly to his perch, dump, fly back! Either his previous family taught him, or self taught, but very nice!

OP
L

liamwang

Feb 6, 2015
Singapore
Parrots
if there's teach us step by step in here will be great :) fly back to cage and poop! hahaha!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Same for my JoJo. I have only had him just under two months, but he has never pooped on me. My daughter, only one time, and it was obvious he was trying to move off her. He will fly to his perch, dump, fly back! Either his previous family taught him, or self taught, but very nice!

Mine birds don't poop on me either, they just grab the paper and make way to the porta potty in their cage or Living room perch with tray.

Most Reactions

Latest posts