Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I have a little gorgeous pineapple conure, who I raised from 2 weeks, because the parents stopped feeding her... I have her out twice a day for approximately 2 hours, and then I have to force myself to put her back into her cage, and just let her play with her toys... She is so cute, and it's so hard not to give her all the time, that I have...

I have never been big on clingy animals, and all my birds are very independent, and I hope Squirt will be, too...

nerosane

Nov 6, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Oh wow, my little Jenday Conure, Blaine does the exact same thing. I'm usually home and if not, then I'm at work. However at any other given time, if I leave to use the restroom or get food he'll panic and start to scream.

Lee11

Oct 23, 2012
New York
Parrots
maroon bellied conure
I have similar concerns right now...luckily my conure doesn't screech....merely squeaks when I leave the room. When I first got him my life was 'as usual' I was out for 7 to 8 hours and left him with the TV on and sound down and a CD on repeat. However after Hurricaine Sandy I was home pretty much all day except for brief stops outside....now today its back to normal and I am hoping he re adjusts to me being gone all day!
Its crazy how we worry about our birds:)

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
I work a lot so Iago comes out as soon as he quiets down after I get home. I feel like since I am not home as much during the week that he needs to be out with me the whole time before he goes to bed :( This is probably why Iago has gotten clingy

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
Even when I'm home all day Jasmine spends some time in her cage. Even when I'm in the same room. I enjoy watching her play with her toys. If I leave the room she calls 'hello' and when I call hello back she settles saying 'hello Jasmine'. 5 mins later she calls again and we repeat. When I'm in the room she doesn't call but does talk to me so she's aware I'm there but isn't desperate to come out. When I do get her out she gets my complete attention for 1-2 hours :)

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
I also work from home and leave the birds in their cages happily playing for long periods of time because I don't want them to get used to being out of their cages all day long when it isn't going to be practical for us as a family. They have lots to do and are content to be in or out. I will say that our Quaker, whose cage is next to my desk, won't make a peep all day long as long as I am sitting at my desk. When I leave she protests loudly. I just ignore her and say hello and it's ok, etc. She is getting much better about it and we only take her out when she is over her tirade. I did try ignoring her altogether but then I felt bad about it and started to reassure her without going over to her cage. This has helped a lot. Our Quaker is very clingy--especially with my son--and as a result will just sit with him for hours, but she doesn't like to venture from him and explore or play. I'm not sure if this is just her personality or because she is such a cuddler that we made her into the bird she is today. If you think that you won't be able to consistently provide all of that attention, I personally would look for ways for your bird to be happy without your constant presence.

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
I have tried different toys and other things to keep him busy. For some reason he isn't interested in toys at all. I've played with them more trying to lure him into playing with them than he ever has. I've gotten all sorts of types and he doesn't show any interest in them, he just wants to sit by and crawl all over me.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If possible, it's best to avoid the screaming than have to put up with it... easier said than done, I realize! My mitred conure, Charlie, screams less when he gets exercise! Exercise involves him flying around! A tired bird is less likely to act out. Likewise, a busy bird (foraging, playing with toys, bathing/drying off) is less likely to act out.

Most people are aware of the extinguishing technique...

There is another technique, that of putting your bird up for success. That is, keeping your bird from screaming by preventing it in the first place. It takes work, like anything, but can lead to a happier bird without the need for screeching and having to ignore it. After all, who wants to deal with screaming?

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Does Ignoring Really Work?

Some other blog posts that may be of interest concerning screaming.
Living With Parrots Cage Free: Search results for screaming
Search Results screaming « Best in Flock – Parrot Blog

Since you recently adopted him, it can take time for him to settle down and learn his new home. He has just been recently rehomed from the only person he's known for the majority of his life, so things are going to be rocky! My own Charlie, whom I adopted when he was 12 years old had lived with a man for about 10 years of his life, then in a pet store for around a year, then in a foster home for about a year. When I first met him (staying at his foster parents home) he had no interest in me... when I took him home, I was the only person he knew! He instantly clung to me and wanted to be with me at all times!

He is still clingy, but he's gotten better with making sure he has things to do and keeping him exercised! And he's not nearly as dependent on me as those first few weeks when his life was once again unsettled!

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
I also have a potential loud conure, Peaches the Sun Conure. I was worried but I did a good research and now I have a very quiet baby Sun. When your bird screams for you the worst thing you can do is run and pick the bird up. You should also avoid carrying the bird on your shoulder all day. Just provide plenty of toys and rotate your toys weekly. Shower your bird daily even in winter because our conures are from a tropical rainforest where rains everyday. Just don't shower or bath your bird late in the evening. I hope this helps and if it is possible could you share pictures of your bird? Peace Be To You.

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
You can upload your pictures from your computer(files), Facebook or photobucket. Peace Be To You.

Lee11

Oct 23, 2012
New York
Parrots
maroon bellied conure
my Rico seems fine by himself all day with a CD playing and the TV on with the sound down...I am glad I got him back to his routine of me being out all day.
Next I need to get him used to travelling on the train with me and staying in a different apartment for a few days....not looking forward to that process!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts