Too proof water bowl?

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
The troublesome Sulphur crested Cockatoo is causing trouble again. She currently has a ceramic dog bowl for her water at the bottom of her cage but she is forever throwing things in it. Trouble is we cant seem to find a water bowl for the side of her cage that she wont throw on the ground. Her food bowl just hooks on the side and she is fine about leaving that put but water bowls not so much. Can you get metal bowls that bolt directly onto the cage? We have tried the ones in the ring that bolt on but with a bit of fiddling she gets it out no worries.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I have 2 of these, I don't use them in Chili's cage, but I had them rigged for her tabletop stand

The bottom of the bowl screws onto the bar and then it has a wingnut on the outside. So as long as she doesn't figure out how to turn the bowl and unscrew it, I think it might work 😊

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Hahnzels cage has bars built into the food-doors that inhibit the removal of the food bowls. You can't take the bowl out unless the doors are opened from the outside.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Hahnzels cage has bars built into the food-doors
My parrot's indoor cage does, too. One of my patio cages has the bowl holders and you put a bowl with a "lump" in the side and turn it around. They aren't supposed to be able to get those out. I suppose a clever or determined bird could manage it, although my weiros didn't try, thank goodness.

With my budgies, I use a silo-type waterer. I'm going to give one a go with my galah, but I'm not sure whether she'll try to "eat" it, I'll have to keep a close eye on her. She can't remove her bowls, but she does make a mess in them. A determined cockatoo could chomp it to bits, it's not strong plastic like the crock locs are. I don't think they could eat those.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
The main concern with silo type water dispensers is making sure they're functioning properly. If the ball gets stuck they can dehydrate pretty quickly.

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Don makes holders that birds cannot remove the bowl from as they can't push the bowl up and out and cannot just grab the top of the bowl from the top and lift up as the rim of the holder is in the way. Shoot him an email and tell him what you need and keep in mind he makes the custom if needed for a particular bowl.

a. Bowl Holders - Don's Birds

Most Reactions