Too soon after Safari...now it's Sponge

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Oh no! So sorry for your loss:(. It was an accident and nothing you could have done. Birds get spooked by many things, not just cups being tossed. Clipping the birds I believe is not a solution as accidents will happen as meant to happen unfortunately, clipped or not.

I do know how you feel with this instance as my GCC is living through the same accident as Sponge and I considered clipping, but is it really a solution? Does this justify all the birds getting their feathers clipped? Accidents are just that: accidents. My birds got spooked (only God knows why) and my GCC must have hit something really hard (I didn't see it happen) and it resulted in her being blind from 1 eye (I'm still treating it). Both my Avian Vet and Ophthalmologist pointed out that accidents happen with clipped birds too and that there's so much precaution you can take.

Don't beat yourself up, but I can't believe this is happening to you :(.....you've had enough to last a lifetime :(.....

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Crim - I am just so sorry for the loss of Sponge, I know you've been through a lot lately

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh no!!! I am so so sooooooo sory!!! I saw your second post that he passed away, my heart dropped! I can believe it, oh Crimson, I am so sad for all of you! He was very handsome bird! Beautiful colorings! He will be very missed by all even though we didn't really know him!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Beth- I am so sorry for your loss. This is unbelievable. You have been through the ringer with all these losses. But you need to know and believe in your heart that none of this is your fault. It will get better. I know its hard but try to stay positive. Sending many hugs your way my friend.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
thanks everyone for your support. it means a great deal to me and helps so much.

Today all my birds will remain in their cages, I need to go and enjoy Black Friday, and go buy something.....maybe a .......fish tank.....even though I don't have any cash, just to lift my spirits.

We use to have a tropical fish tank and I miss having them around. It's a perfect opportunity to come home with something different. I'm sure my husband Dave will agree, rather than coming home with another bird....I've had enough of those for now.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm sorry to hear this sort if news again. Yes, Black Friday with its crowds and madness sounds like just what the dr. ordered. Fish tanks are so much fun and so beautiful and mesmerizing, good luck in your search...hope you if d something cool :)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Good luck on your fish tank quest! Have fun, you need it! ;)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
geez guys, what's all the fuss about Black Friday, I could have shot a canon thru the store, ha ha...lucky me....I wasn't sure what to expect, this is the first year Black Friday is in Canada.

Best Buy was PACKED, AND SO WAS THE APPLE STORE.

now, just to get the stand put together, the tank is still in the back of the truck.
I got a 37 gallon, a bit larger than what I really wanted, but when you only pay $99.00 for it and $1.00 for the stand you can't go wrong!

If I get the stand and tank up today, and get it filled, then I can start getting the fish as of Sunday or Monday, then I'll post some pics :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
OMG.....not Sponge.....and I remember talking about him.....I think you need some major cleansing of your house from the bad things going on. Remove the birds somewhere and burn some sage to cleanse your bird room. I'm truly sorry for all the bad things happening to you and your babies.... :(

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
A bigger tank will be so much easier to take care of, and easier to keep the proper water chemistry. Congrats on your new purchase and good luck when you start adding the fish!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh please Beth, we need pictures of your adventure with the fish tank,stand....and THEN the fishies once you start adding them.:)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
So sad a story. I'm so sorry to hear abount Sponge. My heart dropped in to my stomach when I read this. You poor thing... please be strong and find comfort in the rest of your flock.

Hugs.
Kacee

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
ok, so here is the completed stand that I put together myself....my sore knees!

pretty basic and comes with a shelf...but looks ok.
I'll get the tank out of my truck when Tyler(my son) comes home....then I can get it filled, put the rocks in and get the filter, heater etc..going.

maybe as early as Sunday I can put some fish in,but I have to wait and see how the water and temp is before I start adding them, making sure everything has settled....

Zebra's are really hardy and will start the eco system. I really want a angel fish, but I hear they grow HUGE, regardless of the tank size....any body every had one before?...I've also heard that they are not that hardy.... (sensitive to their environment.)
I really would like to have one in the tank and just might get one regardless and give them a try...

I've had tropical tanks before, and did really well with them, and thoroughly enjoyed them, except for all the work:rolleyes:

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I have angels in a 60g and you're right, they do get huge. I wouldn't put more than a pair in your tank. They pair bond and will attack others. I have serpae tetras and a pair of electric blue rams with mine. I didn't add the angelfish until the tank was cycled. I got them from a club member tearing down his tank, and haven't had any problems with them. They like it on the warmer side.

I personally haven't found the shellfish to be picky and I haven't done anything special for them. They get a once a week water change. I use an aqua clear 110 filter.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Zebra Danios are super hardy fish!!! Or you can go with those glo fish, they're bred that way, they're zebra danios too. They were bred that way and they're still trying to stop the glo and only glo when they come in contact with contaminated water.

Angel fish can be a pain to keep, super finicky fish! I have two in my tank. You must keep up water quality inorder to keep them in good health. And they do grow pretty big. The silver one I have with fins open it is the size of my hand.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, 1 pair of Angelfish - no more. :) They are SO gorgeous!! I had a pair in my 29 gallon a decade or so ago, and they even laid eggs on the filter intake. :rolleyes:

Angelfish like soft water, and a pH of 7.0, but preferably less. :) I wouldn't keep Angelfish with livebearers, as those generally like harder and more alkaline water.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
FWIW we have very hard water here in Houston and I've never had a problem with angels...discus is another story. I've had my angels for a year. A friend in my cycling club has had her angels for 7 years with clown loaches in a 75.

The ph of our water is 8.0. We actually have perfect cichlid water.

Last edited:
OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
After making MANY trips back and forth to fill this 37 gallon tank it's finally done. (I forgot to buy the hose today:eek:)

now we wait for things to settle, balance and then come the fishies:D

this is a picture of one of my cats Bailey,she's the monkey out of all of them, and super curious, as you can see.

I love her death. I rescued her at just 4 weeks of age, she was so ill, she slept on my lap for about a week, after treatments at the vets.... my 3 other cats and 3 dogs helped raise her.

Last edited:

Most Reactions