Too soon after Safari...now it's Sponge

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Oh my god. My heart aches for you. Please, please, please, no one hates you. You are obviously an experienced and loving bird mom. This was not your fault. I feel so bad for you right now. I know exactly how you are feeling. I wish I could help you. Please try and sleep. If you sleep, you might not think about it... At least while you're asleep. I don't know what else to say. I'm so so sorry for your loss.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Oh my god. My heart aches for you. Please, please, please, no one hates you. You are obviously an experienced and loving bird mom. This was not your fault. I feel so bad for you right now. I know exactly how you are feeling. I wish I could help you. Please try and sleep. If you sleep, you might not think about it... At least while you're asleep. I don't know what else to say. I'm so so sorry for your loss.

awww, thanks birdymomma, I'm ok today, but still upset of course.
I try not to dwell on things that happen accidentally, it happened so quickly there was nothing anyone could do, not even a vet.

the only thing I regret was bringing him out of his cage yesterday.
he was pacing back & forth wanting out, I already had 6 birds out, which is enough, but he really wanted to come out, so I let him(of course not knowing what was going to happen)

Safari's death angered me much much more!!!!
yes I was very upset, and shocked when he died, it's only been a little over 2 weeks since he died, and now Sponge is gone, I guess there is not much to do now but move on without them,which I am trying to do.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
So sorry, Beth. You, like myself, have & had a lot of birds. While it may seem that things are happening one after another, the fact is that the more you have of something, the more mathematical probability of things happening. A time ago, I felt like you do, "Why are these things happening to my birds?" I realized that if I had 1 bird, there wouldn't be too many opportunities for various events. But, I've rarely had less than 10 or 12 at one time. The odds are that the more birds, the more chances for something to happen. I know that that is not very comforting, and I'm sorry. But, it is the truth. I realized this while talking to a pigeon breeder who mentioned that once he started breeding on a bigger scale, there were so many more deaths to deal with. It clicked in my head that it is that way with any exponential situation. Even though that is a fact, it does not diminish the value & love of each life lost. I am very sorry for your loss.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
So sorry, Beth. You, like myself, have & had a lot of birds. While it may seem that things are happening one after another, the fact is that the more you have of something, the more mathematical probability of things happening. A time ago, I felt like you do, "Why are these things happening to my birds?" I realized that if I had 1 bird, there wouldn't be too many opportunities for various events. But, I've rarely had less than 10 or 12 at one time. The odds are that the more birds, the more chances for something to happen. I know that that is not very comforting, and I'm sorry. But, it is the truth. I realized this while talking to a pigeon breeder who mentioned that once he started breeding on a bigger scale, there were so many more deaths to deal with. It clicked in my head that it is that way with any exponential situation. Even though that is a fact, it does not diminish the value & love of each life lost. I am very sorry for your loss.

awww,thanks Bill, I too have thought that, but could not put it as eloquently as you just did.:D

the more birds you own, there is much more the risk as the odds increase, just as you stated.

Since Safari's death I have down sized substantially(well for me anyways) giving away most of my budgies, english budgies.(10 in total)to a very good customer of mine.

I've sold 6 finches, for a total of 16 birds now have new homes.
I've reduced my cages by 6.

all in all it feels much better:21:

Most Reactions

Latest posts