Torn and confused on what to do

MaiTai

Apr 25, 2010
Parrots
Mai Tai Sun conure
no name TAG
well Ozzy (the grey we took in) is really confusing me.

He has trouble balancing and so he does not want to be held a lot other then if you hold him up against you, but then he chews chews chews anything he can get. I have 3 ruined shirts lol. So now I have a toy for him. I am wondering though if he is chewing because of stress, so wondering if maybe I should not hold him. He doesnt try to get away just chews madly. He likes to be on ly shoulder but I cant let him up because he then tries to chew my ear and that hurts. Do you think he is chewing because he is stressed?

Edited to add: IF he is not comfortable being held I dont care I will love him anyway and will spend time with him in other ways. Also he just seems to not know what to do with people. He is biting but not to be mean he starts by kinda nibbling then pinch and it does hurt but he is not being mean about it.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Every new bird should have an examination by an avain vet. If not done I suggest this is your first step. Give him lots and lots of toys he can chew and tear apart. You have not had him that long yet. Bonding takes a good while.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great advise from SB, you can't go wrong.
He might be stressed, re: the chewing. Time is what he needs.
Try not to pick him up for a few days, leaving the cage door open.
Hopefully when more settled, going and coming as he pleases, the chewing will become less.
Keep us updated

OP
MaiTai

MaiTai

Apr 25, 2010
Parrots
Mai Tai Sun conure
no name TAG
Thanks guys. He cant get in and out of his cage on his own because he slips down the bars. Maye I can come up with something like a rope so he can get out on his own.
Thanks will update you guys.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thanks guys. He cant get in and out of his cage on his own because he slips down the bars. Maye I can come up with something like a rope so he can get out on his own.

A rope is a great idea, in and out when they please. Also hours of fun, you will be amazed what they do with a simple piece of rope. :D
Good luck

OP
MaiTai

MaiTai

Apr 25, 2010
Parrots
Mai Tai Sun conure
no name TAG

A rope is a great idea, in and out when they please. Also hours of fun, you will be amazed what they do with a simple piece of rope. :D
Good luck

I will let you all know how it goes. I just love him so much already and jsut want the best for him even if it is not exactly what I want.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I have 3 ruined shirts...
As a conure owner by first thought was 'just three?!'

ALL of my shirts are ruined within minutes of being worn around Auggie.

I'm in the same boat...I eventually learned to change into grungy t-shirts and pants as soons as I get home, especially if I have any buttons or decorative items on my shirt.

I've not only lost shirts and the buttons from pants and jeans...I have several necklaces broken and had to replace some undergarments because the bite at the straps through my shirts.

But they're worth it. It's really not their fault that I wear such interesting clothing, is it?

Most Reactions

Latest posts