edendavis

Sep 10, 2023
Parrots
Hartley (green check conure)
we used to hold my conure, hartley, a lot and then we got a dog so we don’t hold him as much anymore. my older brother was good with him and held him more than anyone else. hartley had a strong bond with him. however, last year, my brother left for uni and for the first while no one held hartley very often. he got very attached to his cage and didn’t really like to leave it. i felt horrible so i’ve been trying for the past months to play with him more so he becomes more sociable again, however then my family was away for a month and a half and he didn’t get held by the person watching him. now he’s worse than before and he barely likes leaving his cage. when he does i can’t get him to come on my shoulder unless i really coax him into it. he’s super nervous as well when i hold him and often gets scared and flies around. i guess i’m just wondering if there’s a way to fix it and also if he bonded so much with my brother will he ever be comfortable with me?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. SHort answer - yes. Long answer - you have to work at it. Almost nothing comes easy with parrots. I suggest you set aside a special time every day to work with him, have some of his fav treats handy. Set aside 1/2 hr same time every day and work with him. Try teaching some easy tricks, they love to learn stuff.

Most Reactions

Latest posts