Toys from Palm frongs/bark

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
Every year we go to Phenix for spring break but this year I picked up a trash bag full of palm frongs. I wanted to make some toys out of the bark. They have wild lovebirds living in the palm trees so I know it's safe for parrots. One evening they had a dust storm roll thru and knock a bunch of frongs off the top of the palm trees. Early the next morning I was collecting them off the golf course (taking crazy bird lady to the next level) lol.:D I think I know the answer to my question but I'm hoping I'm wrong. The golf course that my parents live on Fertilized about a week before I got the frongs. The rabbits and quail were running on the grass the whole time we were there. Here are my questions:

1. Are they still safe to use AND how should I clean them?

2. Unrelated question I found some Used toddler wood blocks, would I clean them the same way as plastic?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I wouldn't use it for fear that there may have been fertiliser remnants on the golf course :(

Perhaps someone else has some advice?

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Using any natural product from the outdoors is a risky business because eventhough you see birds in the wild using it, that doesn't mean it's safe for indoor birds. Wild birds have natural instincts that they were taught from the parents and just from life outdoors. Also there are pests that are in the wood of some materials that you have to be concerned with not to mention pesticides and fertilizers. We have a pesticide truck that comes by my neighborhood a couple of times a week especially in the summer spraying. Some of those chemicals and toxins can last for weeks on the plants even after a rain storm.

OP
B

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
That's what I was afraid of. That's to bad I know they would love them.

Is Used toddler wooden blocks safe. How would you clean them?

Thanks for your help.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oh yes, sorry, I forgot about the wood blocks question.

Yes, they are safe to use. Just wash them well with ordinay detergent, rinse in plenty of clean water and dry out thouroughly in your oven. I use 100 degrees celcius for about 15 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the wood in there to cool along with the oven.

sprince

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Umbrella cockie "Pippa"
I live in phoenix and we have palm trees in our yard. We dont use pesticides and have had the trees for over a decade. I would be happy to send you some next time we trim! Send me a pm!

Most Reactions