Toys, toys, toys!

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I am always looking for new ideas for parrot toys. I have always been so terrifed to buy anything besides parrot toys at the pet store. I have recently starting buying toy parts and making my own. (My amazon has been very patient with my humble attempts, but we are making progress.) My question is: Do any of you use non parrot products for your toys? I do use baby link rings, but that is all I have tried.:green:

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
Hannibal stole a piece of denim from me and turned that into a toy.

I'd been trying to cut off a pair of jeans so I had several narrow strips of denim laying around. He likes to hold it with his foot and preen it, pull it apart, tease the dog with it. Cheapest toy I've ever gotten.

He also likes dog toys. *ahem* He's confiscated the knotted rope I got for my chihuahua. That's his rope now.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
I never thought of dog rope toys. I think my amazon would love that. I thought about getting toddler puzzles for my ringneck. He loves to take things apart and throw them on the ground. He's destroyed 2 of my cell phones, and my mac keyboard. He takes the keys off one by one, and throws them on the floor. :)

Gandolf

Mar 29, 2011
Media
Albums
Lincoln, Ne
Parrots
Goffin's Cockatoo, Congo African Grey, 3 Conures, 2 Cockatiels, 6 Love Birds and 4 Budgies
We go 2 the local dollar store and buy the baby toys. Also we have picked up some nice Dog toys for the birds. The dog toys seem to be less destructive especially for the Goffin's "Gandolf" that kid can really destroy a toy fast LOL :)

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
I will have to look and see what the dollar store has next time I go. I have spent so long only buying parrot toys, and using baby links, I think because I am always worried about what may be toxic to them. We are also getting a baby CAG in a few weeks, so with 3 parrots, I thought I should start looking into other options. Thanks!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
oh now nut loves to drink outta a plastic bottle cap, so that in itself is a toy, as i sometime force a lafers berry into them, or some seeded bread and she will eat the treat rather dantily holding the cup with her foot

also chewing objects out of leather/demin that i sew in, like some of her old toy parts, wooden shapes etc even the metal rings etc

she loves to destroy things lol

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Baby toys are excellent toy parts. Also untreated pine - door shims especially - from home improvement stores. Those net bags that some produce comes in are also good. Untreated sisel rope and jude are also good. I've used old puzzle pieces, too. Coffee filters and baking cups are enjoyed by my birdies.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Merlins favorite is easter eggs. He likes to scoot them on the floor & make squeak sounds. I also put treats in them for him to puzzle free. He also loves quarters, I put them in the dishwasher b4. He generally loves anything he can fling to the floor, his favorite game is "wonder how many times Mommy will pick this up"?

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Sounds like Chico! He will throw things on the floor, go over to the ledge, look down, look back up at me, wave at me, and look down again. Such a funny guy. He also likes my soda boxes.

Thanks for all the good ideas! I have plenty of old jeans, so todays project will be to TRY and be creative. LOL

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You may find some bird toy items in a craft store. I have a box and whenever I see something that would be good to include in a bird toy I throw it in until the time I sit down and put toys together. Small boxes are good too. The last one I made I put small holes in the box and almonds inside. It was a big hit.

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
SB, I was going to tell you that I tried your trck of weaving large greens (in this case bok choy) in the bars of Ruby's cage. She loved it! Bok choy is great normally, but when one has to in the walls of one's room, it's even better!

Most Reactions