Toys with long strands of string

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
I'm sure most of you have seen the toys and perches that are sold with the long strands of string hanging down on them. I've had some for years and like them, but the strings are dangerous. Most people referred to them as boings.

Years ago, my pineapple green cheek got some of the strands wrapped around her leg so tightly, it cut off the circulation. I have a wonderful avian vet and she was able to save her leg by putting her to sleep and teasing out all of the pieces of string. That toy was destroyed since there were so many strings on it.

I still buy some of the perches, swings and toys with the long strands, but I cut the strands very close so they cannot become a hazard.

A few weeks ago I purchased a new one for a new cage. I put it in the cage and forgot to cut the strands of string off the boing. Today, after being gone for most of the day, we came home to our little sun conure Petrie with his leg wrapped up in the string. He couldn't move and I felt so bad because I know better. We were able to get the strings off fortunately and cut the strings to about a 1/2 inch in length. He was so hungry and thirsty it broke my heart.

Just thought I would warn others if they do not realize those strings are dangerous.

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
Thank you for the warning. Having had a similar scare with my little bird and one of his toys, I'm grateful. Can you post a picture of the 'boing'? Is it one of those coiled sisal ropes?

OP
Garnet

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
Yes, it is a coiled sisal rope, but I've also had them get in trouble with the rope swings that have the long strands on the bottom of the swing.
Those strings are dangerous.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I read that rope toys were dangerous as nails could get caught in them, but that it was acceptable to use them under supervision.

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
Thanks, Garnet :) I wanted to make sure I was understanding your description of the boing. After our experience with a little, closed S-shaped fastener, I'm even more careful about toys. I'm thinking a birdie bagel tied to a single strand of raffia is the safest and may just be our next 'new' toy.

Most Reactions