Tracking down Mealy Amazons open ring info.

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
Hello, can someone help me to track Åkes ring (open ring)?

"NL 13K3V83"

Åke is from Imazo Ab (Sweden) and according to them he is from Belgium originally, i would love to find out how old he is... According to Imazo Ab he is now 6 years old... ...But i dont trust Imazo at anything, birds without papers like Åke :/

If here is someone who gots a contact in Imazo Ab, i would be really interested about getting all the info from Imazo too (they dont answer emails, they dont answer phones, totally impossible to get any info from there)

FMk8js.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I can only provide a couple of ideas from afar. Consider Web searching Belgium sites that speak to open ring (band) information and use. It is possible that Belgium, as a Country requires open ring (band) use and as a Government oversees the numbering system and/or issues such rings. It is also, possible that there are gatherings of Breeders that as a group control, provide and issuing of rings.

Hope that this helps! Please keep us posted on what develops.

Always Love photos of your Mealy!

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
I can only provide a couple of ideas from afar. Consider Web searching Belgium sites that speak to open ring (band) information and use. It is possible that Belgium, as a Country requires open ring (band) use and as a Government oversees the numbering system and/or issues such rings. It is also, possible that there are gatherings of Breeders that as a group control, provide and issuing of rings.

Hope that this helps! Please keep us posted on what develops.

Always Love photos of your Mealy!

Im hoping that someone from Belgium reads this and points me to the correct way :)...

Åke is doing great, no biting or any problems anymore. Quite a velcro 'zon still but it doesnt matter when there is no biting =)

Tomorrow they are going to get a huge "tree" inside that has 5-10cm (2-4 inch) branches.

qezwO2.jpg

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
NL = Holland

13 = 2013, Åke is only 4 years old (not 6)

NL parrot people told that he is most likely from notorious (bad way) Dutch breeder that doesnt provide papers EVER... There has been police investigation etc.

Few friendly Dutch people are going to ask Åkes ring number from their vets, maybe we get a hit.

That tree i speked about earlier, lets see who is the bravest one and tries it out first...

NycClL.jpg

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Lucky, lucky parrots, well done!

PS thought your rope set up was pretty marvellous also.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Lucky, lucky parrots, well done!

PS thought your rope set up was pretty marvellous also.

Elli the CAG thinks she owns the rope set and doesnt let anyone else there. Trying to get them all on this new tree so none of them thinks its theirs only.

k5MQEh.jpg

1tDOkZ.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Based on EU auto plates, I was guess that NL was Netherlands (Holland) and I was wild guessing that 13 was 2013. Sorry for the bad news on his Breeder, but it looks like you have found more than you had before.

Love the trees!

Happy Parrots! Happy Home!

FYI: It looks like the branches are from what 'we' call Aspen Trees.

Last edited:
OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Based on EU auto plates, I was guess that NL was Netherlands (Holland) and I was wild guessing that 13 was 2013. Sorry for the bad news on his Breeder, but it looks like you have found more than you had before.

Love the trees!

Happy Parrots! Happy Home!

FYI: It looks like the branches are from what 'we' call Aspen Trees.

I'm happy that i can now trust (almost atleast) that he is 4 years old and really bred in captivity. Thank you! :)

Wildplasser

Sep 8, 2017
Parrots
Red fronted macaws
Guarouba guarouba
Hello

Because there is an open ring on your bird the bird should be older than you think and he is probably wild caught.
We only have to close banded cites birds.(like guarouba or red fronted macaw) And a mealy is not a cites bird in the Netherlands and the rest of the EU.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Hello

Because there is an open ring on your bird the bird should be older than you think and he is probably wild caught.
We only have to close banded cites birds.(like guarouba or red fronted macaw) And a mealy is not a cites bird in the Netherlands and the rest of the EU.

That is always possible, or something has happened and his closed ring needed to be cut off... or something was wrong when he was a baby and he couldnt be ringed with closed ring.

Thats why im looking for the breeder, or the person who ringed him so i could get more info. I've already spoken to few "parrot people" from Netherlands and they didn't think the open ring is that big a deal (probably wild caught or anything like that). Atleast three Dutch 'parrot people' have told me that he is probably bred and sold to sweden by them: Papegaaien.nl - Alles voor uw papegaai, kaketoe, ara en meer

As far i have been told, not a nice place for birds... Missing rings, missing papers... Everything just bad.

Wildplasser

Sep 8, 2017
Parrots
Red fronted macaws
Guarouba guarouba
I use open rings for sex determination right is a man and left it is a female.
Before dna sexen was common the vets use this methode when the birds was sexed by endescopie. And a open ring is no proof that he comes from Dennis.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
I use open rings for sex determination right is a man and left it is a female.
Before dna sexen was common the vets use this methode when the birds was sexed by endescopie. And a open ring is no proof that he comes from Dennis.

Of course its not a proof. But its much more likely than your "probably caught in wild" scenario.

Someone has put him a ring that says he is born 2013, im trying to track down who he was.

Most Reactions

Latest posts