Training a bird to be quiet

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
Is it possible to get a bird that's the size of a budgie, or larger (I like parrots), and train it to be quiet?

I think I asked this question before, years ago - and I don't know on what forum. So, please forgive me if it was here.

I have hyperacousis, a disorder that makes me more sensitive to sounds.

It's not terrible, I can tolerate normal conversation and zebra finches just fine (I like the song zebras play, but they're too small/dumb to be a good pet for me), but budgies are louder and have a high-pitched shrill. And parrots tend to be unbelievably loud, even normal people complain.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, my (new) friend...
No guarantees on Planet Parrot. Even the "quiet" species have great variation...
If budgies are too loud... and zebras are about right, noise-wise...
*sigh*
I don't see a parrot as being a happy part of your future.
Good for you, though, for researching and reaching out!

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
Oh, my (new) friend...
No guarantees on Planet Parrot. Even the "quiet" species have great variation...
If budgies are too loud... and zebras are about right, noise-wise...
*sigh*
I don't see a parrot as being a happy part of your future.
Good for you, though, for researching and reaching out!

I was focusing on the word training. Not doable?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
In my experience and exchanges... no... training can ameliorate/alter, but... no. If Zebra Finches are the bench-mark... no.

But let's wait for those more expert than I to contribute.

Thanks for staying tuned!

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
Which parrots have the deepest tone/pitch, even if they're not low volume?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh my...I wish I could tell you that this was possible, but alas, no...
Even the "quiet" species, as already mentioned, are not all that quiet at times.
While it is possible to train a bird to not scream for something that he wants, like if they scream when you walk out of the room because they want you to come back, you make sure you don't come back until they're quiet again. That's doable. As far as training a bird to not make their natural sounds, like the singing, talking, their calls, etc. no...

Imagine trying to teach a dog to never bark times a million...That's how difficult that would be. Birds naturally make lots of sound, and most are loud. You know, you hear them outside...

If a budgie is too loud for you then I don't think any other bird is going to work out either. I have a flight cage full of 7 budgies right next to me right now, on my right, and my one green cheek conure, who is supposed to be the "quiet" conure, is to my left and across the room, and he completely covers the sound of the 7 budgies with one little "My Baby!"

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
Oh my...I wish I could tell you that this was possible, but alas, no...
Even the "quiet" species, as already mentioned, are not all that quiet at times.
While it is possible to train a bird to not scream for something that he wants, like if they scream when you walk out of the room because they want you to come back, you make sure you don't come back until they're quiet again. That's doable. As far as training a bird to not make their natural sounds, like the singing, talking, their calls, etc. no...

Imagine trying to teach a dog to never bark times a million...That's how difficult that would be. Birds naturally make lots of sound, and most are loud. You know, you hear them outside...

If a budgie is too loud for you then I don't think any other bird is going to work out either. I have a flight cage full of 7 budgies right next to me right now, on my right, and my one green cheek conure, who is supposed to be the "quiet" conure, is to my left and across the room, and he completely covers the sound of the 7 budgies with one little "My Baby!"

I used to have zebras ... I got rid of them when they changed their song to my one budgie's screech!

Also, check my post right before yours.

Unless I haven't heard the right videos yet, I think I could tolerate a toucan -- my wallet can't, though.

Thanks.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Honestly I'm not very familiar with the sounds of the Toucan, so I couldn't really tell you how much sound they typically make...But I can't imagine what one costs!

I was trying to think of a parrot that typically doesn't make a lot of sounds, but honestly it's just what birds do. The Finch and the Canary do make a lot of sounds but they're so small that they are very quiet. The budgie is small, but is actually a parrot, just like a Parrotlet. They are miniature parrots and have volume! I honestly thought that a female green cheek conure would be very quiet. I had one for 2 years (she died in an accident). I ended up getting a male green cheek a little over a year ago, and the female was equally as loud as my male is! They aren't constantly making sounds, but when they do they definitely get loud, can be very loud, shrill, raspy, etc.

Maybe someone else will have an idea for you.

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
Honestly I'm not very familiar with the sounds of the Toucan, so I couldn't really tell you how much sound they typically make...But I can't imagine what one costs!

I was trying to think of a parrot that typically doesn't make a lot of sounds, but honestly it's just what birds do. The Finch and the Canary do make a lot of sounds but they're so small that they are very quiet. The budgie is small, but is actually a parrot, just like a Parrotlet. They are miniature parrots and have volume! I honestly thought that a female green cheek conure would be very quiet. I had one for 2 years (she died in an accident). I ended up getting a male green cheek a little over a year ago, and the female was equally as loud as my male is! They aren't constantly making sounds, but when they do they definitely get loud, can be very loud, shrill, raspy, etc.

Apparently 2.5k average, or 10k for a toco.

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwaRZWJ0bu4"]Toucan cuddles just like a PUPPY! (Ripley the Toucan) - YouTube[/ame]

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
I know crows are seen as devils, but how about one of them as a pet? Or a raven

Last edited:

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016

10k for a toucan would be a real find. when I started my parrot journey the cheapest one I could find in the country was 18k and it had a messed up beak. 20k is pretty much the starting point of Toucans, they are also one of the loudest screamers out there.

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016

10k for a toucan would be a real find. when I started my parrot journey the cheapest one I could find in the country was 18k and it had a messed up beak. 20k is pretty much the starting point of Toucans, they are also one of the loudest screamers out there.

Loud? Must have watched only the polite videos, then.

Thanks for the info.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I have to agre with above, I don't know that a parrot is right for you.

The most well behaved parrots will scream, and you can't stop it. If you're lucky you'll get one that only screams when scared about something. But it's far more likely you'll get one who screams at sunrise and again and sun down.

Toucans are very well known for being incredibly messy. Especially shooting poop everywhere, including on the walls. so be prepared for cover walls. There was a recent post if you search the forum where someone shows the aftermath of a toucan. Not something I'd invite to my house. You also need a very large walk in aviary for them. Not your standard parrot cage.

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Have you considered doves/pigeons? I believe they have a very low call that isn't as harsh on the ears as parrot screams. Plus, they don't have a hard bite and can be tamed just as a small parrot could.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
As I said previously, this is hard, I feel your situation! Just like a human 2 year old child, male, with a set of pots and pans....you get the point! My JoJo is quietly sitting on my shoulder, but every time he hears a bird outside, full volume flock call, without any warning!
To stress over the noise will only make it worse!
Real world case- My daughter #4 plus Bongo. Bongo has a Very shrill flock call and daughter hates high pitched sounds. She reacts negatively every time and Bongo gets louder! When I am there, I reply to Bongo's call with a much sweeter call. Once he responds in kind, I get him out and reward him. My daughter, in the middle of her stress, has a hard time retraining herself!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh if only! Parrots are not trainable to be quiet. Some species are said to be quietER then others, but that is more on an individual bird basis, and ALL parrots will have their LOUD moments. Sometimes its once in awhile ( rare ) but most have a specific time of day to get loud. Or just before meal times. Or when killing a favorite toy. Or when they see their person. Or when hearing a truck, car, mailman or bird outside. Or just because it's so great to be alive and be a bird ( oh these Amazons!).

You get the picture. You may love parrots, but clearly if you have noise sensitivity issues, they are not a good choice for a pet for you. How about a nice Chinchilla?

OP
I

icor1031

Mar 14, 2016
Have you considered doves/pigeons? I believe they have a very low call that isn't as harsh on the ears as parrot screams. Plus, they don't have a hard bite and can be tamed just as a small parrot could.

This sounds like a wonderful idea.

Most Reactions

Latest posts