training problem

mahmou2d.12

May 31, 2015
alot of tricks needs to but my hands around my irn and more the problem is he likes to jump over my hand so i can teach hem like this please tell me what to do

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
alot of tricks needs to but my hands around my irn and more the problem is he likes to jump over my hand so i can teach hem like this please tell me what to do

Being able to pick your bird up around the body comes with a lot of time and a lot of trust on his part. It will not happen anytime soon, you must work up to that kind of interaction and start with 'easier' tricks that build trust.

Have you began target training your bird yet? That's the first 'step'.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I would suggest you start with target training to establish trust and communication with him.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtptXFyb2c"]How to Target Train Your Parrot | Parrot Training - YouTube[/ame]

You must start with the easy 'tricks' and move up to the bigger ones.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Yes, it is very boring when you start because you see all these birds online who do all these fantastic tricks and your 'goal' is to get your bird to touch a stick. Not very exciting, but guaranteed all the birds you see who do all kinds of tricks started with target training (and I'm sure their owners probably found it a bit boring/tedious too). The good news is most birds are eager and fast learns, so in a week or 2 I bet you will have moved up to having taught him to spin and wave (2 more beginners tricks). If you keep at it, I bet within a few months time you will reach your goal of being able to pick him up and teach him more advanced tricks. Just be patient and work with him every day.

Most Reactions