Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Hi, I know I have been asking lots and lots of questions, thanks for being so patient! I am trying to get everything in order before Moses arrives in October. I am curious as to what everyone uses to transport their greenwings. If it is a crate type then what size do you use? If anyone has links to their carrier I would absolutley love and appreciate it! I did find one however it was around $500, I really would rather not spend that type of money.

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Petsmart has large dog crates that are only 1oo to 150 dollars, and they are nice because you can stick a perch in the top slats and put food/water dishes on the door. I'll try to find you a link.

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Item: 3960821 at petsmart is built for large breeds of dogs, but it looks like it could hold a greenwing, and the largest size is only $150

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
If I put the perch in, will there be enough room for him to stand?

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Find measurements of a mature greenwing and go look at various wired dog crates to see what your options are. I own a blue and gold and he fits fine in a medium dog crate.

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
I have a crystal flight shuttle for my greenwing, Rosie and she loves it. It is acrylic and she can see everything and can't chew through the carrier. I was using a dog crate, but Rosie started chewing the bars immediately and it wasn't going to work.

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
I looked at the crystal flight carriers today online. I am curious, I am reading that a greenwing is average 36.5'', however I think that the one I saw wasn't quite that long. Wont their tail feathers get broken? This is what I am running into with several of the carriers. Maybe, I didn't find one big enough.

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
It is only 34" long. She fits in it, moves around and can turn herself around without a problem. However, she is only 5 months old. The vet and the birdstore that I purchased her from (but not the carrier, I ordered it online) seemed to feel that it was good. But as Rosie is my first baby, I am just not sure on the tail feathers getting broken as she gets older. Maybe someone else has advice on that? Of course if it is a problem as she gets older, I will replace it.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
I got one of these. It folds up and slides easily behind the couch when not in use: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Life-Stages-Double-Door-Folding/dp/B0002AT3M4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346474803&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+crate]Amazon.com: Midwest Life Stages Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate, 36 Inches by 24 Inches by 27 Inches: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Most Reactions