Tricked by a parrot... I fell for it!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
We are all attracted to and love parrots for reasons beyond their beauty. Being far more interactive than the typical companion animal is key. The gift of speech is obvious but their generally positive willful manipulation is unique.

But take heart, Julie.... Raven didn't bite you in the SAME place on that finger! :eek:

Several of my Toos are unusually aggressive this summer. Wondering if our excessive and prolonged heat is a factor?

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I don't know Scott, but I'm so ready for this heat to end! Typical September though. I know you're in SD county, and I've always had it in my mind that it's cooler down there than Orange and LA, but then again I guess it depends how far inland in this "desert" you are!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't know Scott, but I'm so ready for this heat to end! Typical September though. I know you're in SD county, and I've always had it in my mind that it's cooler down there than Orange and LA, but then again I guess it depends how far inland in this "desert" you are!

Yeah, well it's finally cooled down some here... we're down to the low 90's instead of our usual triple digits... Just sayin'...

This is usually the critical fire stage month in SD County...

I miss SF in September. Best month of the year weather wise, and we usually had good waves on top of it. Late South Swells, and early North West swells.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Down to the low 90's, with humidity, what a treat huh?

I admit I'm not in the hottest parts of SoCal, but in September when in the 90's or 100's even here, it's way PAST too hot for me! I start complaining in the low 80's lol. I'd love to live more up north away from the desert.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I admit I'm not in the hottest parts of SoCal, but in September when in the 90's or 100's even here, it's way PAST too hot for me! I start complaining in the low 80's lol. I'd love to live more up north away from the desert.

Hey, I'm from the east SF bay, remember? Any time it got up to 80-ish, nature's air conditioning would roll in and cool everything back down.

At the moment we have 100% humidity as a matter of fact. It's pouring down rain in about a five square block radius.... Just one section of black sky surrounded by blue...

And about a block from here? It's sunny, and humid. We've had about two straight months of 100 degree temps, so low 90's feels comparatively cool. The birdies have been stuck inside for most of the Summer cuz it's just been too hot for them outside.

Give it 15 minutes, the rain will let up. (And the humidity will get worse.)

Last edited:
OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The Bay Area would spoil you for sure! That's my kind of weather ;)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

There are times when I miss that, and all the stuff there is to do there....

The cost of living, however, and the pressure to try to survive at those prices?!

Don't miss that at all!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Well, I lived about three blocks from the beach in Huntington, all through College. (Long Beach State, UCLA.)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I'm in Oceanside and just 3 miles inland, but we've seen consistent temps in the upper 80s and often a bit higher. No a/c, of course!

This is the consistently hottest summer I've had since having birds in a non-a/c environment. Lots of fans help, but doesn't address the humidity! :(

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Yeah, well it's finally cooled down some here... we're down to the low 90's instead of our usual triple digits... Just sayin'...

This is usually the critical fire stage month in SD County...

I miss SF in September. Best month of the year weather wise, and we usually had good waves on top of it. Late South Swells, and early North West swells.

Yeah, it is all relative!!

October brings the dreaded "Santa Ana" winds, blowing hot dry air from the east/northeast. They are infamous for helping ignite vicious fires and whipping the hot embers with high velocity. One particularly bad year caused carnage in SoCal and forced me to evac my home for 5 days. While I no longer live in heavily wooded and arid Escondido, there will always be a fully stocked getaway van in my driveway just in case!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Highs have been in the upper 60's to lower 70's, and lows have been upper 20's to lower 30's here.

Love it. My favorite time off the year!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Highs have been in the upper 60's to lower 70's, and lows have been upper 20's to lower 30's here.

Love it. My favorite time off the year!

As much as I hate the heat... I definitely don't envy the temps back east once it gets to be winter out there for you! How cold does it get in Maine in the dead of winter?

At least here in the winter, I rarely need to wear a jacket any heavier than a hoodie sweat jacket!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Budgies are absoultely Adorable!! Expecially yours... they are very rich in colors!

It's not for everybody, but I love the cold weather. It will get down to -25 to -30°F in January/February before wind chill.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/

There are times when I miss that, and all the stuff there is to do there....

The cost of living, however, and the pressure to try to survive at those prices?!

Don't miss that at all!

I was born and raised in SF! The reason I left 22 years ago was because the cost of living was so high. I don't miss that either! My mom was a single mom and never owned a home. So it was my goal to get her there!

Ended up here in VT with VT winters. LOL! Who'd a thunk! ;) But we are all happy. :)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I can totally relate with the biting thing Julie! My Quincy has been a biter all his life! LOL! Not a cuddler for the most part either. We love them and we put up with it. It can some times be funny what can trigger a week of biting. I have to be a detective sometimes to figure it out! :rolleyes:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
That Raven is a crafty one, Jules. They can strike like lightning when they want to, can't they. Don't feel bad for getting drawn in. All of us here have a soft spot for these feathered guys. That's what makes us so susceptible to their evil little tricks. Hahaha!

...I have a short video of Shiko doing that while I was trying to figure out his aggression. He sat perfectly still, let me do our "boop" game, and with ZERO warning went for my fingers. There's no evidence in the video that he was going to, even in slow-mo.

Uhmmm... Chantal? Are you going to actually... show us the video? Hahaha! Talk about teaser posts!

I've honestly been trying, but the video is on Brendon's phone and for some odd reason it won't send to me. It shows me beak playing with Shiko, and the only "visible" sign that he's going to bite (which he doesn't actually do... it was more of a fake lunge/aggressive display) is that he looks at my finger. No eye pinning, no leg movement, no change in overall posturing. Sometimes I don't think he even knows he's going to do it, but just decides to last minute, hahaha.

Most Reactions