Trying to maintain some sense of normalcy

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Slide1.jpgHi everyone. I didn't want to post in health care, and jam anyone up who needs immediate care. So I figured I'd post here.

Its been really hard on everyone, since the PBFD test coming back positive. It's been hard on us, on my mom and on my birds. It's been hard on the birds, because I didn't know what to do. I was scared, confused and even angry. For the first 24-36 hours, I barely handled my birds, which is completely opposite of what our daily life is like. I was afraid of contaminating a bird, or an area that wasn't affected. I was in shock. I was so mad, that the family I started was in jeopardy and it was probably due to something I had done. I stopped training them; a daily activity which they love, because I was afraid. I felt like I should be concentrating on the emergency at hand. I barely handled them, and they felt my stress. I was making the situation worse.
So after thinking a LOT about things, I realized that I need to change my outlook. Instead of freaking out constantly, when there is nothing to be done at the moment, besides damage control, I needed a different mindset. It happened naturally when I was holding one of my birds. Instead of thinking of the "situation" and how messed up it is, I needed to focus on each of my birds individually, and collectively, and see them as the beautiful gifts from nature that they are. These wonderful creatures have no idea what is happening, and from a very young age, they have depended upon me for everything. I cannot worry about anything besides loving them, caring for them and keeping them comfortable as I always have, since the day each one came into my life.
The letters PBFD don't mean anything to my birds, but my face, my voice, my touch and my attention do.
So I took all the possible actions I still could, to safeguard them from any further danger. Sanitizing, cleaning, vaccuming, throwing out any toys or other items that could not be safely cleaned. I trained them all (separately), fed them, and made their lunches, cuddled them all (changing my sweatshirt, and washing my face, hands and neck between each) and bathed them. It's what I'm supposed to be doing, regardless of what has happened.
So I just wanted to post a few photos of them enjoying their baths today, so you can see that their happiness is still there.... maybe it's so I can see it, and remind myself, that I am going to be what makes their lives happy, no matter what happens.

Attachments

• knuckles.JPG
    knuckles.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 175

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's the perfect mindset!!!! You said it perfectly, what's done is done so now you just need to love them all you can and go from there. ;)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Yup, they have no idea what's up, and they certainly don't want to see you upset. All creatures have an "outdate" including us. What matters is her and now and what we do with it. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Good girl! I'm so proud of you for making this decision. You had a choice: you could have let the situation overwhelm you or you could roll up your sleeves and get to work. You took the brave option and your birds will be the better for it. A wise man once told me a good way to look at the future: 'Tomorrow is going to be pretty much like yesterday was. I coped yesterday, so I know I can cope with tomorrow!'

Hugs to you and all your family! XX :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
you are a very wise young lady. that is something not easily done.
you should be very proud of yourself.

pls. keep us updated....we're all here for you!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so happy that you are getting things back to normal. It's good for you, and good for them as well:) I bet they were so happy to have their Mom back! Those pictures say it all, they look so happy!
Sending big hugs to you, Jason, Wingnut, Knucky and Loki:)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
And THIS is why they're lucky to have you as a mom.

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
They look so happy, and you are exactly right! All those guys care about is today so make it worth their while :)

i read about your concerns in your last thread, please update me on what the vet has to say about knuckles. I am hoping for the best because i bought our girl from a closed aviary. After reading your post though i think i am going to spring for them to check her by their vet and give it to me in writing that she is healthy. They have a health guarantee if you take your new bird to the vet for a checkup and tests within 72hrs, but you are so right, you never know..... i have enough medical worries with my pup right now...

but please stay strong and don't blame yourself! you are a caring and nurturing parront! their faces cant hide that!!! Those macaws are just too precious, and obviously loving life! take a breath and enjoy it along with them.

Most Reactions