Tusk talking to the wild birds (in Human)...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So last night I had the birds out in the tree, which is a nightly thing around here. And I gave them each a piece of birdie bread as a treat.

Of course, three wild house sparrows had to come and see what everyone was eating, and if there was some for them. They landed on the branch Tusk was standing on, and he immediately said, as clear as a bell, "GET OUT OF HERE!"

And of course, they did.

So, Tusk ate about half of his bread, and decided he didn't want it anymore. Dropped it on the ground. His three friends immediately returned, and pounced on it. He cocked his head sideways, and said to the wild birds, "Want some bread? It's good!" :D

He is starting to get complete sentences, very much in context. Sometimes, it's really quite amazing...

Even if they don't get it right away, if you use language with them appropriately, and in context, they will eventually get it...

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a smart bird Tusk is! I'm surprised he's back out in the tree after his "big adventure".

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
What a smart bird Tusk is! I'm surprised he's back out in the tree after his "big adventure".

He's clipped now. Still goes outside everyday... they all do.

I can't take that away from them!!!

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
That is awesome! I cant wait for Charlie to get there, all i get out of him at this stage is "Hallo Charlie" with sneezes, coughs and whistles. But he is only a year and 3 months old, so he still has far to go!

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
They seriously so smart it is crazy! Tusk seems like a real riot hahaha!

My CAG is learning new things every day even at 18. The other day I was playing some video games on the couch with her hanging out on her boing next to me. She cocked her head and said "you playing video games?" such a smart cookie!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Tusk is a character, love him! My favorite story is Tusk beating up his toys and talking for them "Ow that hurt!", lol. I love that you take them outside and they get tree time, I'm taking advantage of Venus' clip, it's so bad she can't get any lift, all the middle feathers are missing. I'll take her to the car to get things out, short trips or sit under the patio, car trips, etc. We don't have a tree they can sit in but there are no complaints about my shoulder yet.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
"Ow that hurt!", lol.

A phrase he learned in context when I was bite pressure training him...

And uses in context with his toys...

Which also goes to the premise that parrots have an imagination, if he's beating up imaginary foes... doesn't it?!

It's not just that they understand things.

What if they have an active imagination as well?

We know that dogs dream... parrots must too. And imagination is a step beyond that.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Now that is cute! What a little smarty pants! :D A very handsome bird too! :)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
When I started teaching BB to step up his Talons were very sharp. I would say ouch .......... so now instead of step up when he wants me to pick him up he says OUCH......... so yeah gotta be careful LOL

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
LOL Christine, about a month ago I had a Macaw on my arm and then he bit me, hard. I said "OOOOOOOWWWWWW", and says "OW", not funny at the time but yes it was funny. I love Macs.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My red front got mad at me one time, and took full advantage of the fact that I had my hands full at the time, and couldn't do anything about it. She walked out to my forearm, grabbed a hunk of skin and gave me a hard pinch, and twisted it...

Then she looked me dead in the eyes PINNING at me and said, "Owwww! That hurts!"

Now, this bird WAS bite pressure trained, and knew exactly how much pressure she could apply to make it hurt, without actually hurting me... That was about as deliberate as it gets! THE LITTLE BRAT!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hes a handsome guy :) Amazing how perceptive they can be with the situation . I think that's why Im so addicted to them :) At my house I go back and forth who I think is the best communicator , Macaws and Zons . Today its my wacked out Goffin "Pearl".

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.

He's clipped now. Still goes outside everyday... they all do.

I can't take that away from them!!!

Beautiful Bird.....There is just something about a grey that you can't resist...Greyson has to be clipped. Though he isn't at moment, I have to transfer him out to gazebo.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Beau, our grey was smart that way too. Every time my partner picked up her keys he would say, "Mama go bye bye!" And when we fed him dinner he'd say, "Is it hot?" I miss having a grey.

Tusk is one smart boy!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I didn't realize how much of my daily interaction involved tusk until he flew off on his little adventure...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Mark, Tusk is such a beauty, and so clever! I love that he sent the sparrows away, then reconsidered when he was finished with his bread.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Beau, our grey was smart that way too. Every time my partner picked up her keys he would say, "Mama go bye bye!" And when we fed him dinner he'd say, "Is it hot?" I miss having a grey.

Tusk is one smart boy!

I hear ya there.....My Grey is one smart and lovable bird. If he drops his toy on the floor sometimes our Mini wennie dog takes it, and the grey will say.." that's my toy...go lay down" Then will climb down and go get his toy, sneaking up on the dog and biting it in the hieny. The dog yelps and runs leaving the toy behind, and Greyson bobs his head up and down real fast as if laughing...funny as heck. Gotta love a Grey.

Most Reactions

Latest posts