Two parrots and a cargo net

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, cargo nets are great!

I have several of them, and the birds just get very active using them... been using these things for years, and swear by them.

Best call is to just make a PVC frame for it. (A square with some T-connect "feet" to make it stable.) That way you don't need curtain rods anymore... and you can cut it to the size of your net. You could slap something like that together in 15 minutes or less, and it would be a quick fix...

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I'm always amazed at how beautiful of a bird Maverick is. I never realized how interesting their feathers are from the boring store photos. That is one cool bird :)

I was just looking at those same cargo nets awhile ago. Birdman, where did you say you got yours? I'd like to see price comparisons.

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
That's an excellent idea, Birdman!

I was also trying to think of a way to incorporate a playstand around the net using PVC. I just got to get off my lazy butt and draw it up!

Minimaker- yes, they are quite something else!! I try my best to capture him in a bunch of different "moods" and "poses", since - like you noticed - the stock photos don't really do them justice.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I may have a solution for "how do I hang this up."

The tutorial is posted...

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I don't know what kind of place I will be living in yet because I have not chosen it yet. I will have to keep the cargo net idea just in case I can't take Valentino's Java tree with me.

Mark, I was wondering what species the parrot statues are of that are on the table behind the couch (the two taller ones). I think the one on the right looks to be a severe or Illiger's macaw and I cannot tell what the one closest to the left is. They are beautiful parrot statues none like I have ever seen. Ones I have seen are made out of resin and although look realistic enough the quality is nothing like porcelain to me.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's an excellent idea, Birdman!

I was also trying to think of a way to incorporate a playstand around the net using PVC. I just got to get off my lazy butt and draw it up!

Minimaker- yes, they are quite something else!! I try my best to capture him in a bunch of different "moods" and "poses", since - like you noticed - the stock photos don't really do them justice.

That PVC stand works as a stand alone. Just build it taller... do your base with two elbows, and two 3 way corner connects, then do a diagonal cargo net. And if you add a 4 way connect drilled out, you can add treat cups and cross perches to the thing... You can build that for the price of three 10 ft. pipes (3.50 each) plus two elbows, two 3 way corner connects, and two four way connects... and then the bowls... LESS THAN $20.00!!!

Seriously, you can't go wrong for that price! And you can build that in less than an hour.

And it's so light you can lift it with one hand to clean!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't know what kind of place I will be living in yet because I have not chosen it yet. I will have to keep the cargo net idea just in case I can't take Valentino's Java tree with me.

Mark, I was wondering what species the parrot statues are of that are on the table behind the couch (the two taller ones). I think the one on the right looks to be a severe or Illiger's macaw and I cannot tell what the one closest to the left is. They are beautiful parrot statues none like I have ever seen. Ones I have seen are made out of resin and although look realistic enough the quality is nothing like porcelain to me.

They are "macaw like" birds, in colors that don't exist in nature. Who ever painted these, didn't do them in "authentic" colors... but they were on clearance, and I liked them. Those are ceramic. The white ones are porcelin. Those actually belonged to Rachel. Her mother gave them to me after she died... along with one or two other birdie objects she collected over the years.

We were soulmates...

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I see there is quite the collection of birdie statues on the table. I love parrot stuff for people. LOL With this purge of pretty much everything I own I have had to give up quite a lot of my bird collection stuff. I actually am selling furniture and gave up most of my belongings in preparation for the move.

I am very sorry for your loss Rachel sounds like a lovely lady and a true parrot lover.

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
Birdman, that is pretty much exactly what I'd like to do! Thanks for sharing! :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I was just looking at those same cargo nets awhile ago. Birdman, where did you say you got yours? I'd like to see price comparisons.

Pacific Fibre & Rope

It's actually a maritime company that I knew of back from my SF days... but they also do cargo nets and rope landscaping projects for zoo enclosures. You need to make sure that you tell them what you intend to use it for, so they use the right kind of rope, and they make it to your specifications...

For awhile I had a sideline business going doing custom parrot playstands, and all of mine had cargo nets incorporated into them...

Most Reactions