Two quick questions. Help please!

Skye

Mar 7, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Parrots
Jenday Conure (Lola)
Hey guys! So my mom has a seminar in Palm Springs that she needs me to drive her to. We will only be staying one night and returning tomorrow evening but I'm worried about what to do with Lola when we are gone. Should I not cover her cage tonight since she will be the only one home anyway and this way she wont be confined by a sheet all day tomorrow? I just dont want her get chilly in the middle of the night. I can make sure the fans/AC is off? I was also thinking about leaving the TV on so she doesn't feel neglected?

Second question: Today she bit me hard enough to draw blood and I don't think I handled the situation as well as I could have. I pulled back quickly and gasped in shock (she has bitten me hard once before but not enough to draw blood). Again I know that birds don't understand punishment so I didn't leave immediately after getting bitten, I just picked her up and put her back in her cage (what I was attempting to do when she bit me) before going for a band-aid. Is there a better way to handle this situation and prevent bites like this from happening again?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
No you should leave the AC and fan running as over heating will kill birds!!!
Yes I would leave a radio on instead of tv as you'll be running the tv for a very long time. You can put them on timers to make it easier if you'd like.

Tell your bird no biting! Stuff her beak with treats, keep her occupied, teach not to bite too hard, etc.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
lolol I remember winging Monkey my first conure across the room the first time she really bit me it was such a surprise.:eek: I think you had a better reaction:D

Try to look for signs she is about to bite you! Does she ruffle her neck feather, arch her neck, etc... Does she do it when near her cage or just when she has to go back? Do you usually only ask her to step up when you are putting her back in the cage? A lot of it is seeing if theres a reason she is biting you and working around that factor. Monkey mostly bites when shes in her cage so I use a perch for step up in the cage.

Another could be age. Is your bird reaching that hormonal I really don't know why I wanted this bird age?

As for going away. I would leave the cage uncovered. If theres a draft then just cover that part of the cage and leave the rest uncovered. If it gets really hot where you are take that into consideration when turning the A/C off. You could also raise the temp just enough to offset the cold at night and the warmth during the day. Otherwise there shouldn't be much worry. If you give her extra toys to play with that will keep her occupied for a bit. But a day or so isn't that long:)

OP
Skye

Skye

Mar 7, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Parrots
Jenday Conure (Lola)
Thanks for the speedy reply! So dont cover her cage but still leave the AC on automatic? I'm not sure how to set the radio/TV (embarrassing I know hahah) but I will definitely leave either of those on thank you so much!
I'm thinking she bit me because I moved too suddenly towards her? I did give her a peanut shell shortly after to keep her occupied. Hopefully she doesn't associate the treat with the biting! haha

OP
Skye

Skye

Mar 7, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Parrots
Jenday Conure (Lola)
She's around 7 months old. When do they start getting hormonal? I'm hoping I still have some baby time left with her before that stage happens!

Nana_Avocado

Nov 26, 2017
Milwaukee,WI
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
When your gone leave some exotic parrot music from youtube or take a lot of recordings of your voice and mix them up so your jenday conure doesn't get lonely. If you have a friend, maybe she can take care for your conure while your gone with your mom. And also biting can be hurtful but when you react to a parrot or a parakeet biting you and or if you almost get bitten when you pull away your finger or whatever object your using it discourages your bird to bite more since they think that your scared of them. My conure doesn't bite me hard because it's already 5 years old and mostly baby conures can get very nappy or cocky towards their owner. Once after like 4 or 5 months if you got her from a pet store or breeder, they can get more used to you. Try not to pull away your finger or react to it because that will teach lola bad behavior.

Most Reactions

Latest posts