Uggghhhh, help meeee

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
First of all, I'd like to give you guys some info on how Sprite is doing :) He is doing GREAT...If anyone saw the topic about him sneezing and scratching his cere, I've noticed he only does it when he is tired and he has since been doing it less often...Anyone elses conure do this?? Anyway, Sprite is currently sitting on me :) He has been making a more variety of vocalizations, me and my mom think he is growing up. He does this thing when we get home where he kinda straightens his back, fans his tail, and puffs up like his cheek feathers and screams and dances and bobs his head, it is too cute!!! Anyone elses bird do this? Anyway...

He is getting a really BAD habit. He always feels the need to jump into someones hair...It's like whenever he gets the chance, he'll jump into your hair...also, once hes in your hair, its really hard to get him out...he'll bite you and hang on really tight. He really hurt my mom when he bit her (He never bites anywhere else). Anyone have any tips to stop this? :( Ty and I hope everyones birdies are doing great :orange:

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Forgot to add...we can't even have his cage near the dinner table when we are eating because he'll jump on the person closest, and climb in their hair. He even did it to a guest once, it was embarrassing D:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My conure also loves to preen hair and I let her do it for a little while every day. And she really, really wants my mom's hair and my mom is afraid of her, lol! Sometimes though when birds are allowed on your head they are now taller than you and act dominant. The only way really to prevent that is to not let him up there to begin with. Since he's flying to your heads that's kind of a problem. You may have to clip his wings once to train him. Then if he runs up your arm and tries to get to your head, you can tell him, "Don't!" or "No!" and take him back off. You may even need to set him down on top of his cage or a stand. Then in a couple of minutes try again. If he behaves, praise him. If he doesn't, tell him don't again and put him back down.

The other option, and the one you might like better is to make sure he is always obeying the command to step up. Practice step ups for 5-10 minutes a few times a day. He should understand that every time you ask he needs to do it.

I'm glad Sprite is doing well and is happy to see you when you come home:)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Max loves to fly to the top of my head... I don't want him there, as I have a very sensitive scalp... Max knows this and will slide down to my shoulder, but if he doesn't I can easily ask him to step up... Since I can't see his body language up there, I have to be confident that he won't bite... and so far, so good.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That is one of the biggest problems for me as well, Lene, is that I can't see if she is angry about being removed from my head and is going to bite. Although Rowdy does tend to squawk angrily as well, so that gives me some idea.

Atwee, is there anyone in your house that can remove him from someone's head without being bitten? It might help to have that person ask him to step up. Sometimes conures can be like little kids and have tantrums when they are told no about something they really want, lol!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
My male cgcc also puffs his head and fans his tail when I first walk into the room, so I think it means he is excited or angry that I am near is babies(he is a dad now).

Most Reactions

Latest posts