Uh oh... Help!

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
I'm at my aunt's house. S'mores came with me. I was letting her fly around for a bit. I thought I made the room safe enough for her. Boy was I wrong :(

There's a cactus plant in my aun't house which I completely forgot all about. She was flying around and she landed on it. She gave a little chirp of pain. My heart sank when I saw her struggling to get off. I got her off and I had to take a few needles out of her feet. She seems fine now, still a little shaken up. Is she going to be alright? Or should I take her to the vet?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Oh shame poor S'mores, eina. I might be jumping the gun here......
If it was my bird I would definitely go take the bird to the vet immediately.
Hopefully you have removed all the little needles, my main concern is, with the naked eye, what have you missed. Without even knowing it one could be in quite deep, infection could set in.
Rather be safe than sorry Diego

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Diego, some cactus have curved barbs at the end of the spines, sounds like this may be one of them since they came out of the plant and you had to remove them from your bird, if you can get some help in restraining her with a soft towel, you could examine her feet in a good light with a magnifier to make sure no small barbs are left, if this isn't possible then maybe a trip to the vet would be best to make sure there is none left to cause discomfort or cause infection, if you do it yourself a good cleaning of the feet and a light application of neosporin might be a good idea, good luck :)

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Well, I already checked her feet thoroughly to make sure there were no needles, then I placed her feet in lukewarm water to relax her. Then I put some birdie cream on her feet. I placed her in her travel cage with one perch covered with a warm wash cloth. I'm hoping that'd be good for now until vet's. I'll take her to the vet tomorrow when I return home from my aunt's house.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Shame AP - your heart must of sank!!! Thats a mistake any of us could of made - I wouldn't of thought of the cactus either. Your a great guardian and everything you did will help lil s'mores until you see the vet tomorrow. Keep us posted :)

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Alright, made two trips to the vet today. For S'mores and for Shelby.

S'mores is fine from her cactus incident. The vet was impressed with what I did to help her.

Shelby is now 110% better. She's now back to her old self. Maybe bossier, lol.

Thank you everyone for the love and prayers. Hopefully I won't have to deal with anymore vet trips for a while! lol

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hey Diego, I hope the vet gives you discount !!!!!!!
So glad to hear that S'mores and Shelby are both fine now.
You a great guardian, keep it up

Most Reactions