Uh oh

hootx3

Jun 21, 2012
Media
Canada
Parrots
Quincey, female green Quaker
Okay, so I have a powder coated cage (by the way, is powder coat safe?) and Quincey has chewed a bit of the powder coat in some places. Is that really dangerous? Also, I've noticed small rust spots in some areas of her cages, mostly at the bottom corners, the hinges/turning points for cage and bowl doors, and a little bit in some other places. Is this really bad? I'm paranoid right now-I know rust is toxic, but I just bought the cage a few months ago, brand new(in the box)!

So I want to know if it's enough to scrub off all the rust with steel wool and vinegar, or do I need to refinish it(which I don't think can be possibly done with a powder coated cage) or even buy a new one? Also, if I just scrub the rust off, is there something I can sort of re-seal,it with?

The rust was probably caused because I don't dry the cage after the daily cleaning-which I now realize was rather dumb. Is there a good way to dry off her cage quickly? (I use a wet cloth for daily cleaning and a hose and scrub brush for weekly cleaning)

I'd ask my vet, but it's too late at night for that (which reminds me that Quincey has to go night-night). I'd also post some pics of the rust, but the lighting isn't great for that at night.

I'm pretty scared right now, and it would really help,if I got some advice.

Thanks.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Sounds like your cage is in pretty rough shape. Yes powder coating is safe and yes your bird chewing it off is dangerous to their health. The steel wool will just take more of the powder coating off causing it to rust even faster. I'd say it's time to replace that cage with a good quality one(I reccomend buying from msbs).
Oh and make sure you dry it after cleaning this time.lol:p

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
If its only couple of months old I would talk to the place you brought it from. It shouldn't have rusted out that fast. They maybe able to suggest something or even offer a replacement.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Rust is dangerous to Birds! I would contact the place you purchased it from and ask for a replacement! This should not have happened after a couple of Months!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I agree with contacting the place you ordered it from and complaining. Could you share with us the cage that you purchased, so the rest of us can make sure to not purchase it?

OP
H

hootx3

Jun 21, 2012
Media
Canada
Parrots
These are the answers I was dreading. I don't really have enough money to buy another cage right now, but I don't want Quincey sick. I checked out msbs, and their cages aren't all that expensive. But does anyone have any idea want size bar spacing I need (for a Quaker parrot)? Or does anyone know which cage on msbs would be best for a Quaker?

I'm still going to ask my vet today, but I have a feeling I'll get the same answer. It would make me sad to have to buy another cage, because I was planning to buy a tree gym/stand for her to play on, and they cost about the same.

Thanks.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
You shouldn't have to come out of pocket for another cage. Call the manufacturer that made your current cage and demand a refund.

If you must purchase a new cage in the mean time I would highly suggest this cage:

A and E Flight Bird Cage with Stand - PetSupplies.com

It's a steal at $127 w/ free shipping. It's also a great amount of space for your quaker!!

OP
H

hootx3

Jun 21, 2012
Media
Canada
Parrots
Well, I sort of bought the cage at a pet shop... At the time, I didn't know you could buy cages from a manufacturer online (funny thing is, before I brought Quincey home, I researched for weeks about everything... Except where to buy a cage). I was a bit daft...

You don't think I can get a refund for it from a pet shop, do you? (because I hardly doubt so)

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
I would take GOOD pictures of the areas that are rusting and take them to the pet store, if they are reputable they should stand behind the products they sell.
If they do not refund or offer to replace it at no extra cost then I would inspect the new one in their shop and verify it is in perfect condition.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Well, I sort of bought the cage at a pet shop... At the time, I didn't know you could buy cages from a manufacturer online (funny thing is, before I brought Quincey home, I researched for weeks about everything... Except where to buy a cage). I was a bit daft...

You don't think I can get a refund for it from a pet shop, do you? (because I hardly doubt so)

Depending on the country you are in, most places will have a guarantee or warranty for a product for 1 year. Call your pet store and let them know.

If you have the receipt, great. If not, and you paid via card, pull up the transaction record on your bank statement so you have a date, amount and proof that you bought it from the store.

When a manufacturer supplies a product, they are selling it under the condition that it is free from manufacturing faults, defects and with a guarantee that it is built for the purpose it was sold for. A pet store that turns around and says "you voided your warranty because your bird chewed on it" is a liar - a bird cage is built for a BIRD. You buy the cage and birds WILL chew and PROPER manufacturers are aware of this. (Note, in your case, just point out the rusting, because that SHOULD NOT happen)

In Australia, we have the ACCC - where if you cannot reach a resolution with the retailer, you can bring your case to them and they can help sort it out.

Also get in contact with the manufacturer if they are being difficult. From my experience with defective products, I find talking to their Head Office (either store or manufacturer) works better than at store level. (Depends on the store though, some are willing to find a solution, other's just couldn't care less). Head Office though normally DOES and often have a vested interest in keeping their customer happy.

At the end of the day - the cage is faulty, it's rusting and it is not fulfilling the purpose it was built for. You have a right to complain, and also the right to a repair, refund or replacement. Don't let the store rip you off. :)

Last edited:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)

I'd think it'd be easier to get a refund from a pet shop than from a manufacturer, because you can deal with them in person. Don't be afraid to be obstinate with them about it! Don't be afraid to ask for the manager, manager's boss, managers's boss's boss, etc. Be a pain in the butt if you have to!

In the US, we have the Better Business Bureau, which we can report businesses to if they are practicing unethically. It's a pain in the butt for said businesses. There is probably an equivalent in Canada.

I would check Craigslist for cages. I found some amazing deals on there.

If you are concerned for your bird's immediate wellbeing, I'd call and ask your vet. Since it hasn't been that long, and the rust isn't too bad, it's probably okay, but it isn't a bad idea to be cautious. You can get your bird's iron levels tested, to make sure they're within normal range, if you think he's had much exposure. Rust isn't an ista-poison, but too much iron can be even more toxic than mercury, according to my doctor. I think there are also ways to cleanse from too much iron, but I can't think of them at the moment (my iron levels tend to be low, not high, lol). Iron is also a necessary nutrient, so be careful, and don't treat the birdy for anything unless you're sure he needs it.

Last edited:
OP
H

hootx3

Jun 21, 2012
Media
Canada
Parrots
Okay, thanks! The shop I bought it from has always been very customer friendly (well, I think it is) so this shouldn't be a problem.

Although I am a little scared... The rust that I have noticed isn't very noticeably-I only spotted it because I'm really meticulous about cleaning Quincey's cage. It's not even that far gone-in the places the powder coating's been removed, it's only barely rust colored (not even, you could mistake it for the metal). Nothing's flaking off. The only thing I am really worried about it the corners and door hinges of her cage, where the rust is more visible and almost looks powdery, which I think she could ingest or inhale, if she could reach it (which she can't). Do you think it's enough to go on to get a refund? I wasn't even really convinced that it was dangerous at first (I almost overlooked it) but then I did some research and found that rust is toxic, so I consulted the forums. I'll try post some pics soon, but again the lighting's not good for pictures right now. I'll move the cage in better sunlight.

And I'm not worried right now if she has been poisoned-She can't even reach the rust. Although of there is any change in her personality, I will rush her to the vet immediately.

OP
H

hootx3

Jun 21, 2012
Media
Canada
Parrots
Urg, I've taken some photos (very amateur photos... I'll take better quality ones for the pet shop) but I have no idea how to get them on my computer. Hopefully (with help) I'll have them up my morning.

OP
H

hootx3

Jun 21, 2012
Media
Canada
Parrots
Sorry that this took so long! I've been really busy with training my dogs (long story).
Here are some of the pics (they aren't the best quality):

And FYI, I've found out that I can wipe most of it off-all that's left is in cracks and in hinges where Quincey can't reach.

Attachments

• Emily 206.jpg
    Emily 206.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Emily 207.jpg
    Emily 207.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Emily 208.jpg
    Emily 208.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Emily 209.jpg
    Emily 209.jpg