Uhhh Shrimp??

crzybird

Feb 19, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Kiwi-3 year old Nanday Conure, Loui-5 year old Gold-capped Conure!
OMG OMG! We had coconut shrimp tonight and uhm Kiwi went nuts. She was on my shoulder and I had eaten a shrimp and was preparing to throw the tail away when she snatched it from my fingers and went to town on it. She absolutely loved it. After she ate it she put her head down and I swear she said "love". Of course that is probably just wishful thinking on my part. Back to the question, she only had the one tail but still..I mean seriously?? She also has this bad habit of trying to take things out of my mouth. I'm a smoker, I smoke outside but when I'm in the house generally I chew on a straw or toothpick or something. And everytime I have something in my mouth she slowly leans foward with her beak open wide and tries to take it. What is she doing? Is this one of those, "if momma can have it in her mouth so can I" things?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol i would discourage her taking things from your mouth, just give her her own, just to avoid problems in the future

as for prawns yum nut loves the tail bit lol think they must see it like a high protein seed lol

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I agree with Suebee. As long as it's been cooked/washed it is probably ok that she ate it. But, don't let her take food from your mouth just due to the bacteria we naturally carry that birds don't. Our mouths are much worse for them than the mouths of dogs and cats actually.

Any food I share with mine, I portion off before I use my sliverware for myself just to try to keep things as clean as I can.

OP
C

crzybird

Feb 19, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Kiwi-3 year old Nanday Conure, Loui-5 year old Gold-capped Conure!
The first time she tried to take the straw from my mouth I told her no. After she did it again I told her "not for birdies" she looked at me and backed up. I dont let her take anything from my mouth just noticed that she is trying. Was wondering why they do this. And thanks!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol think its coz they want to see whats so good :)

nut still tries to sneak in the odd steal at times

but she does try to give you a kiss with tongue as well, so thats the main reason i won't ever encourage mouth to beak, coz when our birdies get hormonal, its epic! lol

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
If it's in your mouth then she thinks it should go into hers as well. It's either good or fun, right?:D

My BCC would try to slip me the tongue sometimes when she kissed me.

Most Reactions