Umbrella Cockatoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

U2gal

May 20, 2013
I"m not going to get a rb2 sadly, it is just too unrealistic. I know everyone is saying i shouldn't get a u2 at this moment, which i won't. If i were it wouldn't be until next year or the year after. Mytoos.com is a great site, and while I was checking it out, I wondered if the stories also applied to smaller 'toos like goffins and corellas?

Yes, the small species of cockatoos are just as hard as the big guys:)

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Your posts are not making sense. You have "tons" of experience through fostering and you won't consider adoption through the rescue you foster for? And yet don't have a clue on behavior? Amazon's are not super aggressive unless you do one of the hot three MALES. Macaws aren't super expensive if you adopt. If you've fostered an M2 in the past, what's so bad about an Umbrella?

Hmmm....

I have to say I agree with the above post. (except I don't think that you should get an umbrella, not that I don't like them just after reading all your posts I don't think you should) You say that rb2's are unrealistic, why? You said you had $5000 to spend on a bird then why are any of the birds macaws, rb2 etc. too expensive? Not all amazons are aggressive, the hot three are more difficult but to the experienced owner a lot of fun! Macaws are not more than what you have saved up except for a couple of them. Greys are wonderful and not all phobic, mine is very easy going! Rb2's are $1500 as babies and my breeder has three babies available (you stated they were hard to find) I'm just confused, you aren't making a lot of sense with all of these threads. Just trying to understand.

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
@u2Gal *sigh* I took care of my friend's m2, not fostered it. ;) I fostered a pair of u2s, and they weren't so bad since they were a pair, not needing every dying minute of my life. Macaws ARE VERY expensive in maintenance...i did foster a "hot" 'zon...fostering is only a couple months. This thread wasn't saying I would or wouldn't do this it was a question of what YOU would do in the situation. I will probably end up adopting however my preference is a handfed baby. I hope you understand. didn't have to be so harsh though...:eek:

@BrianLinkles Galahs just aren't something I can see happening in the near future, and i never said a galah is too expensive. Really good flight-parrots though. ;) I had a couple bad experiences with greys, and learning they aren't a free-flight parrots kind of turned me off, cool birds though! I did foster "hot" 'zon, yellow naped to be exact...and I still have the scars! Although some aren't hot, i want to steer clear of them :eek: Yes I have some bird experience under my belt, that doesn't mean I know everything!

Sorry everyone if I wasn't being clear with this thread! I wouldn't have adopted this u2, I was just asking what YOU would do in my situation.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
They can be great to live with but even better if they like you, correct? I realize there are honeymoon periods and puberty issues, birds will be birds. It comes down to you and what you are capable of handling. What is your personality capable of dealing with? U2s are super special to me, not so much when I first got him but I discovered things about myself that I didn't know and finally let myself learn about this special bird.
You can't have a closed mind and have to be very forgiving. I wish you luck in your choice.:)

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Greys are great with free flight :)

Are you considering free flight for your next bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions