Unethical?

MaiTai

Apr 25, 2010
Parrots
Mai Tai Sun conure
no name TAG
I have been going back and forth on this topic so thought I would ask here. Would it be unethical to buy birds off craigslist then adopt them out again? I feel horrible for these birds that are being sold like used cars and thought I could maybe help by buying them then adopting them out on a contract and home visits (not for profit). Then I tell myself that this might be wrong or sneaky or something lol.

What are your thoughts?

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I don't think it's unethical or sneaky. We don't have anything that I am aware of for birds here but there are many dog rescue organisations where if there is eg a Great Dane looking for a home, the GD rescue will if possible foster the dog until a permanent home is found. I'm guessing you'll be doing a similar service.

Unfortunately there will always be ppl like the one you are dealing with & if you're like me, if I get something in my head I wouldn't be able to let it go until I did something about it..... just be prepared to have them for a while.

You have a very kind heart

OP
MaiTai

MaiTai

Apr 25, 2010
Parrots
Mai Tai Sun conure
no name TAG
I don't think it's unethical or sneaky. We don't have anything that I am aware of for birds here but there are many dog rescue organisations where if there is eg a Great Dane looking for a home, the GD rescue will if possible foster the dog until a permanent home is found. I'm guessing you'll be doing a similar service.

Unfortunately there will always be ppl like the one you are dealing with & if you're like me, if I get something in my head I wouldn't be able to let it go until I did something about it..... just be prepared to have them for a while.

You have a very kind heart

I just hate to hear about a parrot that has been in multiple homes, or has gone thru heck and just gets passed around. My thought process is that if they do go to a home and the home doesn't work out or something tragic happens the bird would have a familiar face there for them when they need help.

When I look at my TAG I think that he is always going to be special needs. He will probably always need extra help getting to the top of his cage. He will most likely need extensive medical care later in life and I wonder how many times he would have been dumped in his life had I not taken him because he is not perfect. Then I think there are other birds out there that are being passed around like used cars through no fault of their own and it makes me sad sometimes I just want to help what I can help.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Depending upon the state you live in your could volunteer for one of the parrot rescue foundations. I just filled out an application for the Gabriad foundation. As far as Craigs list people I say at least they are trying to re home and not just letting they fly out the window. So good of you to take in a special needs bird.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
SB has a great point. If you have the time and the resources, volunteer for an estabilshed rescue - be a foster home, organize fund-raisers, etc. Setting up your own is beyond most people's resources. Most rescues just need volunteers...and money, of course.

Most Reactions

Latest posts