Unsure what to make of this or how to handle it?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Edit: As has been brought to my attention through PM (though not quite in these words): Making a long stay short is a great aid to popularity.
Tell a Friend-Kin Hubbard

Kiwi may want to start flying. We really are not in the best situation housing wise for him to learn. How can this be discouraged for a few more years until we have more room and a safer learning area?

Hopefully this is more clear than before. Please don't all attack me at once. Thank you.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you want to try teaching him to fly again, you might try the two perches or chairs apart again, but work on stepping between the two areas before you get to hopping.

Maybe a better question, do you want him to station where you put him at, or do you want him to become more interactive with his environment?

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Sounds like he wants to fly, So you have a decision to make...

A friend of mine had a bird that started jumping and trying to fly, He didn't want to "teach" the bird to fly BUT he didn't want to clip the wings either and the bird jumped at the steps and broke his foot and one wing hitting the first floor :(

Joe

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well, since he seems like he might be interested in flying, why not try revisiting the concept of flight?

And if he hesitates to go between two perches, then keep the distance short where he *will* succeed before attempting to go further! If you do spread the perches further apart, only go 1/2" to 1" at a time! Keep the spacing as short as is required to make sure that Kiwi succeeds in what you want him to do!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Well, since he seems like he might be interested in flying, why not try revisiting the concept of flight?

And if he hesitates to go between two perches, then keep the distance short where he *will* succeed before attempting to go further! If you do spread the perches further apart, only go 1/2" to 1" at a time! Keep the spacing as short as is required to make sure that Kiwi succeeds in what you want him to do!

I agree completely. This is exactly how I taught Bixby to fly. I took it nice and slow, rewarding him and making a huge deal out of it whenever he would step from one of the training perches to the other. It was only after he was doing that without hesitation that I would increase the distance.

If his actions really do indicate a desire to begin flying, maybe he'll be more receptive to the twin perches approach this time.
And with Bixby, after a while the flying itself became a reward for him! He loves to challenge himself, and only ever shows frustration when he messes up either an approach or a landing.

It's definitely a process, April. But with enough time, who knows? Kiwi might surprise you!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Buddy has been coming out of his cage and he flies 12 - 15 feet straight out and lands on the love seat. That I'm ok with because targets his landing spot and hits it well. I'm working on my perch project because I would like at least two one in the kitchen and one on the other side of the livingroom but moveable. Where I freak out is he's with me and starts spreading his wings and squats low on my shoulder so I know he's thinking about taking off. When he does take off but starts turning and flying around objects I start wincing. He actually does pretty good, the worse flight was into the hall and into a bathroom landing roughly between the toilet and tub. He walked out, down the hall, into the livingroom and climbed up on his cage. He was ok but I hate when he does that so when his body language changes I ask him "where you going? No stay there. Want some popcorn?" Most times he stops but he is a stubborn stinker some times and takes off. Do you see a change in his body language or is he zippy and gone in no time?

I like the training recommendations and I'm going to incorporate them. Keep us posted.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
"PLEASE SEE EDITED ORIGINAL QUESTION" Thank you.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
I for one would NEVER attack someone here, First of all unless they are in your shoes they don't really know what your life is like

If the bird won't stop trying to fly then clipping is a very painless way to protect him from getting hurt

In this case we are talking about a bird that really won't even miss it
I'm sure when the time is right you will know!!

Don't even give it a second thought

Joe

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I agree with Joe. I'd love to have my birds free flighted, but we lost our grey due to smashing into a wall. When I tried growing out my sennies feathers she kept flying into walls. The day she lost control and flew out the dog door (which she had to hit hard to make it open) was it for me. I may try again next time they molt.

That's the great thing about feathers, they grow back.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm with Joe and thekarens. My cockatiel was a horrible flyer and I hated it when she would try and hit a wall or land bad.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'd keep the cabinets and other "nesty" spots off limits.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I'd keep the cabinets and other "nesty" spots off limits.

He's not typically allowed in cabinets and I definitely flush him out from behind/under stuff ASAP or else he'll start regurgitating and get a bad attitude in a hurry. In fact, he was recently getting in the gap between the bottom of his cage and top of his travel cage, which was adorable the first time he did it, but he started making it a habit. I actually just moved the travel cage a few days ago so theres no little gap for him to get in anymore. He is allowed to sit on the back of the couch and office chair and sits on the shower door for shower time, but spends most of his time on his play stand, cage or t-perch. He isn't allowed to ride on my shoulder, but he comes all over the apartment with me on the t-perch, and is always given a toy to occupy him. He does get to explore under close supervision, but he does not have 'free run' to do as he pleases and get in trouble.

Last edited:

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
when Hope was 5 weeks at that time i started practicing flying with her.
As i didn't think their cage was safe enough,and well i was a worry ward.
I put her on my desk chair and had her jump too my hands.
It went great after a while.
But in the 6th week she learned to fly!
She shot up into the air headfirst into the ceiling onto the ground,and shaked it of and actually flied after that(well king of lol)

Most Reactions

Latest posts