Update on Dominic

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well! I never thought I'd see the day! This past week, Dominic has not only transitioned to a mostly pellet diet, he has also learned to eat *and enjoy* fruit and veggies! It's incredible! I do believe the reason he's eating well is because he's been allowed out of his cage with the Beaks and has watched them munching away on veggie mix and fruits. When I put the Beaks away (he's still afraid of them), he marched right up and gobbled up the stuff they had left behind. Amazed, I gave him fresh food for himself and he downed it in no time. Talk about monkey-see-monkey-do!

Not only that, but through watching the Beaks, Dommie has learned to chew on his chew toy and to throw things down on the floor of his cage (which he then has to trundle down to retrieve). All this movement seems to be helping him as my kids are positive his lipoma is shrinking. The best thing yet is that I was sitting here at the 'puter, minding my own business when a blood curdling galah shriek blasted out of Dom's cage. He's got his voice back! In all this long while (13 years since Dad passed), I haven't heard Dominic make a sound.

We've got a long way to go yet: the old vulture still lunges at me every time I go near him and there's absolutely no chance of him stepping up yet. I'm just overjoyed that this poor old bird is finally back to being a bird again and not a victim.

PS. Yesterday evening, while making a honey sandwich, I did what I usually do and allowed the Beaks to lick a smear of honey from my fingers. I don't know what possessed me, but I offered some honey to Dominic and he took it. Not with a pound of flesh attached, but delicately with his little pink tongue. We're getting there, Dom and I. :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Great progress. Congrats to both you and Dominic:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I got the chills reading this! Incredibly heartwarming, and you must be SO overjoyed that Dominic is coming out of his shell. :) I am very happy for you!!!! :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
wONDERFUL !! I had a very depressed Rb2 . I understand the joy of hearing them flap their wings and do their happy scream ,.its a big deal ! [my bird was silent].

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Making progress with a troubled bird is a wonderful feeling!

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
The most exciting thing about having a bird is when they come out of their "shell", congratulations to you and dominic :)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Having rescued many traumatized birds in my 45 years of doing so, I know the joy (and relief) you are feeling. Welcome to the club!

Most Reactions

Latest posts