Update on Leo

lefty13

Aug 5, 2014
Wow where do I even start. Well I guess for starter I have leo for about 3 weeks almost 4 weeks now. He's transition nicely into my home.
I've been wotaking on his recall training. I think it's going pretty well. He comes when I call him and whenever he feels like coming. I have already let him fly outside. For the most part he is train outside. I only fly him in the morning before breakfast because I know he will stay near or if he fly off he would be more willing to fly back to me when I call for him. How do I know this? Because I let him out a couple of hours after a feeding and all he wanted to do was play on the tree top. Only reason I got him down was because he saw a grape in my hand but he was probably in the tree for an hour. I don't fully trust him outside yet but I trust him in the area we train in.
When I got him he was fully flighted so he never like playing on the ground or with his toys. I eventually got him to play with his toy. He either hated laying on his back or just wasn't comfortable with it yet. But now he loves it. When I first try putting him on his back he would struggle and try to flip over every time. I was starting to think that he might be the only caique who doesn't like playing on his back. He eventually started tolerating me putting on his back because I would scratch him when he was on his back. I think what really made him love being on his back was when I lay down on the couch or bed and I have him lay on his back on my chest. Since that moment he never struggle any more. He even started laying on his back while playing with his toy which he never did before.
He fly every where I go. When I first got him. He would try to fly to me head. Eventually I got him to stop that and now he only fly onto my hand or my shoulder. He does a great job of not biting my ears but just loves surfing on my neck.
In the 3 weeks I had him, he has been nothing but a joy. He is not even loud at all. There is still much more training to do with him and so much more to learn from him. Also he had learn a lot of my whistle since I use whistling for recalls.

OP
L

lefty13

Aug 5, 2014
20141015_231059.jpg
I thought I had more pictures but I guess it was videos instead.

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
Loved reading the Leo update, and that picture is priceless! Sums up caiques in one photo!

Most Reactions