Update on Polly the RCA

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
I adopted Polly the Red crowned Amazon(AKA Green cheek, mexican red head) around Dec. 10 from a rescue. When I first got him he wouldn't come out of the cage for about a week, eventually I was able to "Bait" him out with nuts. It took a couple of days before I got him to step up from On-top of the cage...Once I got him away from his cage he was fine, I got him to step up several times and he even let me "Scritch" his head, but hasn't let me since. For awhile I always had to try to convince him to come out, sometimes he wouldn't and when he did, he usually wouldn't let me come near him.

Now, he comes out of the cage as soon as I open the door and climbs to the top. Most of the time I can get him to step up from his cage with a treat, other times he will lunge as soon as I come within 2 feet of him. Still unable to get him to step up from inside the cage...Most of my issues with him have been territorial.

For the most part he is very calm, not a very active/inquisitive bird. He makes short work of my shirts and shreds them like paper. Almonds seem to be a favourite for him. He loves apples and carrots as well. He "displays" in the morning for 20 mins or so and sometimes at night as well, other than that he isn't too noisy.

Once he sees the vet next week and hopefully gets a clean bill of health, his quarantine period will be over.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Thank you for taking in an older zon that needed a home. Sounds like your making great strides. I'm sure he'll start stepping up better when he trust you a bit more.keep up the good work.

Most Reactions

Latest posts