Update Time!

Evanskiver

Jun 11, 2011
Villa Rica, GA
Parrots
Tyrael - Alexandrine
Reptar - White Fronted Amazon Rescue
Hey guys!

So a lot of progress has been made...or perhaps all progress? Last time I posted, our Amazon was bitey and generally displeased with her situation.

However, Friday I walked out of the room and came back to find the poor thing on the floor walking toward the door as I opened it. I thought that she had fallen and was just exploring. The next day, the same thing happened and again, I thought that she kept falling due to not having a lot of leg strength yet from not climbing for 2 months at the pet store.

On Sunday I was standing at my computer about 4 feet from the cage and she took off and tried to land on my arm, so I picked her up and she climbed to my shoulder where she decided to clean my ears for me lol.

It appears that every time I leave the room my gf says she tries to follow me, which makes me sad and happy at the same time lol. She actually "bit" me last night as I was trying to get her off me as she made me a bit uncomfortable.

Normally, I let the bird do as it pleases until it gives me a reason to not trust it, however last night she stepped up onto my finger, walked to my shoulder, cleaned my ears again, and then proceeded to climb to my chest where she kept reaching toward my face. Now she did not seem agitated, but rather happy and excited but I am not one for facial piercings lol. In my attempt to get her off me, she did "bite" me but it was not mean. More of warning type thing like my Alex has gotten to doing. So it looks like a lot of progress has been made. Sadly she seems to be a daddy's bird which I think makes my gf sad.

We Need HELP!

It has been over a week now and we still have been unable to figure out a name for our Zon. Any ideas would be helpful :)

-Edward :green2::green1:

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
That sounds like great progress! If she's trying to come get you, then she likes you.

The face thing sounds a lot like what Kazi does when he wants to play. Lots of gentle 'biting' and growling. I move him to my leg and let him gnaw on and wrestle with my hand and fingers. He's never gotten so excited he's forgotten himself, but I'm not willing to risk it that close to my face. The first few times he did it it made me uncomfortable too, but eventually I figured out what was going on.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Congrats, the sky is the limit, keep socializing your zon , Believe it or not , they can love more than one.

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
Hi Evanskiver
we are new owners as well and our's is very much a one person bird with my wife getting all the attention seeking. He will occasionally come on to my hand or shoulder but won't let me tickle him. He usually makes it very clear that I am not the favoured one even though I give him his favourite treats, banana and toast.
We weren't sure if he takes any notice of what is going on outside his window but yesterday he got very cross when a cat came into the garden.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
My Ecky does the 'face thing' he goes for my eyelashes, I never realised he might be trying to play, I just thought he wanted to peck my eyes out.... Lol..

OP
E

Evanskiver

Jun 11, 2011
Villa Rica, GA
Parrots
Tyrael - Alexandrine
Reptar - White Fronted Amazon Rescue
While I could not help but laugh at my gf last night, she had an unfortunate altercation with the bird. She attempted to retrieve the bird from the top of her cage with a stick we are using when she decides to be a bit bitey. Our Zon obediently stepped onto the perch and was lowered to my gf's desk. My gf then attempted to pet our Zon which is generally ok, however it seems that our Zon tolerates her less each day. The bird started complaining to her as birds due and then proceeded to attempt an attack on my gf's french fries she had for dinner. After stopping her from grabbing one I told her to use a tiny piece as a peace offering, annnnnd thats when the bird dropped it to the ground and gave her crap. So after this happening twice I had to see what she would do if I gave the same piece to her.

Yep...she kept it.

And so my gf goes on a rant while half laughing about how this is not funny and I turn around to my computer. After a moment my gf again attempts to pet out friendly bird and the bird flies off her desk and onto my shoulder...and thats when I lost it lol. It would appear...the bird has made her choice. I am sure it has nothing to do with little bit of dinner I have been sharing with her :p

So, last night was a bittersweet night. I love the fact that the Zon has decided I am good enough to be her pal, but saddened that my gf has still yet to get a bird to bond with her. Our Alex seems to simply tolerate the two of us rather then enjoy our company but at least my gf can handle her without getting bit.

Thanks for all the support forum, it has been great :)

-Edward :green2::green1:

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Maybe it's time for the GF to be the hero, can you leave the room wait for the zon to call for you and have the Gf transport the bird to you or maybe forget the bird in the bathroom for a few and have the Gf come rescue the poor thing and make a fuss over helping the bird back to your presents. Sometimes seeing how someone can be useful can make them more tolerable to our feathered friends. Oh and cleaning cages and changing water seems to come under the "what you think I'm supposed to do that?" heading birds are for the most part into the "What can you do for me?" in the teenage tunnel vision of life. You supplying a roof over their heads and food in the fridge doesn't register, it's where's my new car designer shoes attitude so see what you can do that he feels is just for him. Oh and for a Name hows "The mighty ZON!

Most Reactions