Urgent! Great Pyrenees dog needs home

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My uncle in Cleveland, Ohio has a 1 year old male, neutered Great Pyrenees dog that needs a new home. Yukon is healthy and friendly but he did bite a 10 year old playmate of his daughter's. We do not know why he bit, but the girl had dark skin and perhaps that had something to do with it. I hope that doesn't come off as racist as we are not racist people. We can't obviously ask the dog if that was the problem, and i apologize if that was offensive to anyone. I just want to be completely honest about the situation that happened with the dog.

Anyways, my uncle doesn't want to take a chance of the dog biting another child. Anyone out there who might be able to provide a new home? No rehoming fee as far as I know. This is a large breed of dog though. It is good to have a 6 foot fence with this breed and some room to run. He is 100lbs.

Please PM me and I can put you in contact with the owner.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
This turned out to be a sad story. My mom called me yesterday crying because the dog was put to sleep. We both agree my uncle and aunt never should have gotten 2 of these dogs and then not bothered to train them. It turned out this dog had multiple problems, all of which could have been prevented. It destroyed all property it could get hold of, was taught to jump on people even though it was as large as a person and had no obedience whatsoever. They were not willing to crate train the dog and keep it away from visitors to prevent future bites.

I had a dog that hated men after being abused by my ex husband. I did not put her to sleep. It wasn't her fault; she didn't start out that way. I just kept her away from male visitors until she got to know some well enough to be trusted out with them. We managed just fine the entire normal lifespan of the dog without anyone being bitten. She was well trained in all other aspects (she just wanted to protect me, really).

I'm very sad about this whole thing.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Aw, I'm sooo sorry I didn't see this sooner, I am from pa but I know a woman that lives in ohio that is very very involved with rescue, I can't believe I didn't see this post until now. :(

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
None of the rescues would take him because he had bitten. I love Pyrenees, but right now my animals all get along well and I didn't want to disrupt that. I also took down my 6 foot fence when my last dog died. I had planned to put up a nicer one, but then got sick and went on disability. No money equaled no new fence or new dog. You really can't train a Pyrenees to stay in your yard. It is their nature to claim up to 10 square miles of territory to guard.

It really bothers me that one of my own relatives would get an animal, and then not do the right thing by training it or even considering other options like I did with my own dog.

Most Reactions