URGENT - is there any way I can help?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
We stay in our church house overnight today because of the snowstorm before the Theophany, and as we came back after dinner we noticed a pigeon on the ground window right near the door. I went to check on him, and he seems alert (although it's 10pm), his eyes are bright but very sad, and there is no sign of any visible injury. Looks like he is young. He isn't fluffed up or doesn't look sick, but there is definitely something wrong with him because he sits on the ground. All the other pigeons sit under the roof. It's kind of hard to see because he is between the bars and the window. His feathers look fine. I put some food and sunflower seeds, but he obviously wasn't interested. I'm worried because it's so cold outside. He got a little nervous when I put the seeds in front of him, but wasn't really afraid of me.
Is there any way I can help? :( I'm afraid to touch him because he might be sick. We are also very busy tomorrow morning. I read that it's a good idea to put him in a cardboard box for night (there shouldn't be a problem to find one in the office here) to make him warm. I dunno..
If anybody knows what to do in such situation, please help!!! Thank you.

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Nobody knows.. :( Okay I have to go to bed. I checked on him a few more times, and thought that maybe he is just trying to find a warmer place. It's the window of the women's restroom downstairs, and when I went there he was knocking on the glass all the time. I made a tiny opening in the window (I just didn't have the strength to push it open), and there is a heater right under it, so maybe he gets warmer there. I tried to touch him while outside, and although he allowed it he seemed pretty angry. His reactions were very quick, so I just hope he is not sick. There is no discharge from his nose or mouth, and his poop looks completely normal. His eye pupils were very wide so his eyes seemed almost black, and that could be because of the darkness. I didn't want to take him in not only because of fear of disease, but also because of the extra stress it could cause him. I so much hope he makes it! Poor little thing.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Find something soft to pick the bird up with (eg. a teatowel or old piece of rag etc). Feral pigeons are often riddled with lice and this could be what's making him sick: some birds suffer from the effects of exsanguination when they carry a heavy parasite load!

Place him in a cardboard box with something soft in it that he can hold onto (slippery cardboard will make him stress). Cover the box with something breathable (fabric: teatowel etc) and leave him in a dark, quiet place. Get him to a vet as soon as you can, or if he appears to be recovered, release him.

You could put some water in with the bird in case he'll drink, but usually they don't because they're too stressed. Don't bother with food unless the bird is clearly searching for it. Maybe a bit of millet?

It's kind of you to care for the poor bird and I hope he recovers for you. :)

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Oh my ... Are you still up?
I have a hard time visualising what happened here, did he fly in between 2 bars and into the window of the church and is now stuck in between the bars and window, and it's a window you push, towards the bars?

If you're afraid of disease that can spread to your birds, I'd ask someone at church to help you maybe take it to the vet in case there's something underlying it's trying to hide from predators.

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Thank you! No he is not stuck - the bars are pretty wide, but he is still sitting there, and it's almost 9am!!! :( He is alert and he ate all the food I put for him. He doesn't have any ice or snow on him... I cannot take him out of there because of the bars, unless I spook him out. I really want to check if his wing(s) are not injured.
You know Psistaciformes, what if you are right, and he is just scared to press himself through these bars? It's pretty unlikely, but who knows... I check on him after the church service, and then I'll have more time. I cannot afford to take him to the vet (it's gonna be at least $100), and the vet is near our home, 45 mi from here. :(

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Hmm ... Tricky situation.
Couldn't some of the people at church help chip in? Birds hide illnesses and injuries well, but if anything's broken I think you'd be able to see it.
Maybe he's just bruised, hopefully that's the case.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
I'd bring him in , put in a box with microwaved tea towels some water and millet he could have been injured and its not ovious. Best wishes Bonita :green2::rainbow1:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Our vet takes in all hurt/distressed animals, no charge! We have brought baby squirrels,multiple wild birds. Might be worth asking!

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Our vet takes in all hurt/distressed animals, no charge! We have brought baby squirrels,multiple wild birds. Might be worth asking!

Just wild animals though, right? Otherwise people could pull major schemes and bankrupt the clinic ;)

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
We had to leave after the Theophany morning service and take 3 people to their homes, plus grocery shopping... So there was no way I could have taken him with us, and we have no room in our house since I have one bird on quarantine now. We live 47 mi from the work (my hubby is a music director at this cathedral) in the countryside. I left plenty of food for him, and emailed our priest who lives in the same building, to keep eye on him and feed him. He told me he wold definitely do so.
The problem with the wildlife centers is that they view pigeons as pests and probably would just euthanize him. So I just hope that he survives this one bitter cold night (it gonna be -22C). It's getting much warmer tomorrow. The little opening in the window I made would hopefully provide him with some heat (the hater is right below the window, and it's really hot there). I still feel guilty I couldn't do more, but I also couldn't put my other 6 birds at risk.

Attachments

• IMG_20150106_090229.jpg
    IMG_20150106_090229.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 99
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
You shouldn't feel guilty, you've done everything you can :)
I hope it survives, -22 isn't exactly summer heat ... You did a good job.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The picture you posted is a pitiful sight and I applaud your compassion, balanced with your concerns of disease transmission.

That a wildlife center considers pigeons as pests and would likely euthanize is despicable. I'd expect this mentality from public health organizations and county animal shelters.

Most Reactions