*URGENT* Please help!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Unfortunately there are no vets open on Labour Day. It is a legal holiday here and everything is closed.

I personally would give him some electrolytes(pedialyte) in his water, and definitely call the vets tomorrow.
But I am no vet, so the advice of electrolytes is a personal one.

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Yeah... I don't really wanna put him trough the stress of a 2 hours drive either.

His droppings are getting more solid now, nowhere near as frightening as what I found this morning so I'm starting to think I'll just book an appointment tomorrow morning (unless I notice something that tells me to rush him in). What still worries me is that he slept for most of the day =(

Also, I could be wrong, but his crop seems a little hard, maybe? Like it's really a bump and not smooth. I'm no expert thought. I thought yesterday that it didn't feel the way it usually does...

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Just weighted him, he's at around 70.87 grams (2.5 Oz)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
where do you live?

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
In Canada (quebec). The vet that could see him today is in montreal.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
well, only you can make this decision.

Unless they run their test in house, they will send it out tomorrow.
But if you see the vets tomorrow, they will send it out that day anyways.

is he eating, or drinking anything?

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
He stuffed his little face earlier before his afternoon long nap and drank some water when he woke up.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
ok, well that sounds encouraging, you can watch him closely, and unless anything urgent should happen, maybe tomorrow would be better.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If he's constantly showing signs of being tired and sleeping a lot, I would highly suggest in putting a light on him if you can't get to a vet today. Do you have a clamp on lighting kit available?? You can find those in hardware stores. Use a 60w bulb and hang it on the cage and cover the sides with a towel to keep the heat in.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Yes, heat is an absolute necessity when a bird is sick and, if your bird is sleeping after breakfast, he is definitely not feeling well. If you use a lamp, please make sure you prevent the bright light from hitting his eyes. I use a heating pad under the grid (I cover the grid with a paper so the pad doesn't get pooped on) and cover the cage on all sides but the front to keep the heat in. I don't like lamps because of the danger it could represent to their eyes and because you put it on the side or the top which is not as effective as putting the heat source under (heat rises).

Most Reactions