Using a harness in an area with hawks

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
That poor cockatoo must've been terrified. His handler did a great job. I would imagine she had to visit the er after that.

Well, about that...

ONE of the handler's did a great job. The other one? Not so much....

That particular hawk was a hawk from the same bird show. He's free flighted. They released him for the next "act" too soon...

He normally gets fed for doing his free flight thing...

And, oh look, looks like the trainers are serving cockatoo today!

A captive hawk is still a hawk. And he's been trained to take "food" from a trainer's hand.

Actually I did hear that in the video..l that it was a hawk from the show. So yes someone definitely wasn't awake maybe forgot their coffee.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I saw a raptor chase a sparrow under a car right in front of me. I had thought the sparrow was safe but the raptor just landed, walked under the car, and emerged with the sparrow in its talons.

groovieguy

Sep 9, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw (RIO) 10mo
We have a resident hawk that sits on power lines. If we see him we definitely don't go out with our parrots on a harness or not.. Travel cage, yes. But I have gotten into a habit of walking out the front door and looking up to see what is in the sky. That is not a guarantee, and I figure my babies look like Skittles, very yummy. I haven't let them out for long periods of time but I'm working towards that. My plan, screen in our patio so they can go out and enjoy some sunshine. I am always looking up for hawks and I have fears of them just appearing. They are stealthy like that.

Our pool is screened in and I put my B&G out there, but I keep an eye on her and also there is an overhang where her play area is and our table and chairs. It's harder for a hawk to see her under it. We have a couple hawk nests nearby.
Now on to the bad about 5 years ago before my bird, wife calls and says the pool area is tore up. When I got home 5 of the screens were tore out and Hawk feathers all over and in the pool. Hawk must have seen something on the screen cage and busted threw it ,getting stuck in the pool area and bouncing off the screens till it broke out.

I always watch RIO and if she sees something she doesn't like she screams.

Most Reactions

Latest posts